news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Brexit...  if there was ever something to prove people can't admit they was wrong it would be Brexit...

next up for that, is Scottish, & welsh nationalism!

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Unless they were both back in EU and not governed by an English Tory govt.

nothing except much bigger economies would stop them hurting themselves far worse than tories ever would.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Unless they were both back in EU and not governed by an English Tory govt.

That would be a nice luxury if we had the choice of going to Wales or Scotland and being back in the EU though - even if the nats annoy Neil 😉 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Seemed to be quite a lot of love for Johnson and the Tories on Question Time (from Romford) tonight. Imagine that will be reflected in results next week.

The Question Time audience isn’t really representative.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

That would be a nice luxury if we had the choice of going to Wales or Scotland and being back in the EU though - even if the nats annoy Neil 😉 

chosen stupidity annoys me.

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

chosen stupidity annoys me.

It's not hard to see how many people from the other nations could see how little the UK government care did for them (now more than ever) and read the opinions of all too vocal little englanders empowered by that arrogant government and think "christ, surely we don't need these eejits" 

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It's not hard to see how many people from the other nations could see how little the UK government care did for them (now more than ever) and read the opinions of all too vocal little englanders empowered by that arrogant government and think "christ, surely we don't need these eejits" 

In 2020/21, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £13,414. In England, it was £13,166 (2% below the UK average). This compares with: • Scotland: £14,842 (11% above the UK average) • Wales: £14,222 (6% above the UK average) • Northern Ireland £15,357 (14% above the UK average).

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf

Edited by lost

16 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It's not hard to see how many people from the other nations could see how little the UK government care did for them (now more than ever) 

i want to feel hard done by with an extra two grand a year spent on me and mine. lol 

just because their wants don't get  absolute priority (cos there's others in the mix) doesn't mean they're badly treated.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, lost said:

In 2020/21, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £13,414. In England, it was £13,166 (2% below the UK average). This compares with: • Scotland: £14,842 (11% above the UK average) • Wales: £14,222 (6% above the UK average) • Northern Ireland £15,357 (14% above the UK average).

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf

I mean these arguments can be made till the end of time...but the reality is the whole of UK is dependent on London money because the way the UK economy is structured, and that breaking away will likely cause short term pain but in long term things would be beneficial..like Ireland.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I mean these arguments can be made till the end of time...but the reality is the whole of UK is dependent on London money because the way the UK economy is structured, and that breaking away will likely cause short term pain but in long term things would be beneficial..like Ireland.

Yep but like it or not there are 3 global cities in the world. London, New York and Hong Kong (HK probably to be replaced by Singapore as the CCP as ruining it) London and the SE generate a surplus and this money is redistributed around the UK. For the nations to leave they need replace this somehow. This "well we can simply create a more successful economy" seems to come from the same school of thought as "you can repair a economy but can't bring people back to life" comments during covid like its so simple and poor countries are choosing to be poor for a laugh or something.

We've lost part of our economy for going on 18 months during covid and now have a lower standard of living for the majority.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, but thats hardly the english putting themselves first at scotts expense, which is the Nats'  myth.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

t in long term things would be beneficial..like Ireland.

that was due to the EU having shit loads of money to give to Ireland, and after 80 years of financial pain for Ireland, too, the EU  doesn't have huge sums to gift anyone now, so the same wouldn't happen.

Edited by Neil