news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Nice photo op for Bojo and Zelensky yesterday...for Boris it helps him look like a proper world leader, and with Sunak out of the way now he'll likely be leading tories into next election. For Zelensky it helps to show that Ukraine are winning, at least in Kyiv...but now the fun and games start in Donbas...Russia need some sort of win by May 9th apparently, when Moscow has big Victory Day Parade...but Ukraine probably feel like they can drive Russia out completely.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

French elections start today, if Le Pen wins then, well...EU is possibly going to be a bit fucked...and that will embolden other far right nationalist/populist politcians in europe and elsewhere.

I suspect it's going to be drawn out a bit longer. France's election system means I doubt Macron, Le Pen or indeed anyone else will get over 50% today so it's likely gonna need the run-off in 2 weeks time.

Edited by charlierc

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Nice photo op for Bojo and Zelensky yesterday...for Boris it helps him look like a proper world leader, and with Sunak out of the way now he'll likely be leading tories into next election. For Zelensky it helps to show that Ukraine are winning, at least in Kyiv...but now the fun and games start in Donbas...Russia need some sort of win by May 9th apparently, when Moscow has big Victory Day Parade...but Ukraine probably feel like they can drive Russia out completely.

Our chancelor Nehammer was there the same day. Its really weird. Zelensky must have a full time-table to meet all the europen and world Leaders, besides all of this war. Nehammer will be meeting Putin tomorrow 3 pm, so i hope that it will have at least a little positive vibe for the way out of all of this mess for the future.

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, Macron vs Le Pen in two weeks.

Looks like that's what we may end up with. Exit poll just came out, and says Macron and Le Pen as the two highest scoring candidates. Far-left anti-NATO candidate Melenchon wasn't too far away off the pair of them - all 3 got over 20% according to the note I've seen, but still EM/MLP as the two out front.

So I guess if this is all correct, and those in the know say that French polls tend to be more reliable than ours in the UK, guess we have 2 more weeks of grandstand shouting and a 2017 redux ballot.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Our chancelor Nehammer was there the same day. Its really weird. Zelensky must have a full time-table to meet all the europen and world Leaders, besides all of this war. Nehammer will be meeting Putin tomorrow 3 pm, so i hope that it will have at least a little positive vibe for the way out of all of this mess for the future.

What Zelensky needs is support from the abroad, as well as maintain support for the resistance at home...and so far on both fronts he's done amazingly well.

• Upvote 1