news & politics:discussion

zahidf

43 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

surely no sanctions will be eased until Russia withdraws completely...and even then there would need to be a whole bunch of conditions. They have to keep talking.

At same time this could be just stalling so Russia can get more supplies...but Ukraine getting more supplies too...and all the time Russia's economy is getting screwed.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

surely no sanctions will be eased until Russia withdraws completely...and even then there would need to be a whole bunch of conditions. They have to keep talking.

At same time this could be just stalling so Russia can get more supplies...but Ukraine getting more supplies too...and all the time Russia's economy is getting screwed.

Surely there would be no appetite amongst the public here for us to relax sanctions on Russia anytime soon!?

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Surely there would be no appetite amongst the public here for us to relax sanctions on Russia anytime soon!?

No....but easing of sanctions might become part of a negotated end to this....but I think a lot of ties between the west and russia will have been severed permanently now

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No....but easing of sanctions might become part of a negotated end to this....but I think a lot of ties between the west and russia will have been severed permanently now

Possibly, but the government would get torn apart here if they relaxed sanctions on Russia anytime soon.

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

except David Attenborough of course, and maybe Michael Palin.

Fair!

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you're kidding?!

Nope, I'm a freelance sub-editor and have been doing the odd shift for them since October. Weird life crossover!

Did you know for example that The Guardian has a staff ballot for Glastonbury tickets? Not open to freelancers sadly...