news & politics:discussion

zahidf

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

or she's just following advice as there is a rise in cases in Scotland (as there is in England but let's not mention that).

Covid isn't over...look at Hong Kong...will never be over, we have a new infectious disease that will kill a percentage of the population every year...

I read an interesting thread on Hong Kong which demonstrates just how effective the vaccines are.  I do wonder whether the low uptake is to do with Hong Kongs distrust of China though rather than misgivings about vaccines in general

(I've slapped my own wrist for discussing Covid in the Politics thread). 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Aren't they also using that useless Chinese vaccine?

Yeah... according to the thread:

Exacerbating this is that most of Hong Kong’s elderly vaccinees had China’s non-mRNA Sinovac shot, which is less effective than Pfizer etc at blocking infection. Sinovac does fare better against severe disease, but overall this is likely to have contributed to the poor outcomes.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

He’s been given a gift avoiding the questions today. I can imagine he will brush all the questions off next week as they were asked today. 

He’ll get away with this like he’s got away with everything else.

Also this isn’t the Covid thread, please take that elsewhere. 

What thing did attract Spaffer to the billionaire oligarchs? 

That question was a blinder. It needs to be on a flag!

For those that missed it....

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/4eabaef8-cc91-4b6b-b5c6-be6f67ab629b?in=12:23:07

Edited by squirrelarmy

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Can't imagine the injustice and pain of being denied seeing your child grow up for no other reason than you being used as a political pawn.  Disgusting.

Yep, heartbreaking

Mind you missing some of the teenage years maybe not so bad 😉

Edited by fred quimby

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Doesn’t most of this favour Russia? Obviously there should be peace to save lives but isn’t this giving Putin what he wants?

it leaves Ukraine as a sovereign nation.

In the end Russia is bombing the fuck out of Ukraine. Ukraine has shown incredible resistance and it almost seems like a stalemate has been reached, but Russia are capable of inflicting a hec of a lot more damage on Ukraine...and Nato may be supportive but they are not actually willing to get involved directly for fear of escalation...so it is what it is. If Russia are going to stop bombing the shit out of the place they need to be given something to help Putin climb down, something he can sell to his own people as a victory.

Anyway, we've gone over this. I think Putin has fucked it, he has fucked Ukraine, and he has fucked Russia and eventually Russia will get sick of him and he'll be gone...but it won't be soon enough to save Ukraine so I think a negotiated compromise really is the best bet at moment.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it leaves Ukraine as a sovereign nation.

In the end Russia is bombing the fuck out of Ukraine. Ukraine has shown incredible resistance and it almost seems like a stalemate has been reached, but Russia are capable of inflicting a hec of a lot more damage on Ukraine...and Nato may be supportive but they are not actually willing to get involved directly for fear of escalation...so it is what it is. If Russia are going to stop bombing the shit out of the place they need to be given something to help Putin climb down, something he can sell to his own people as a victory.

Anyway, we've gone over this. I think Putin has fucked it, he has fucked Ukraine, and he has fucked Russia and eventually Russia will get sick of him and he'll be gone...but it won't be soon enough to save Ukraine so I think a negotiated compromise really is the best bet at moment.

So Ukraine get no bombs dropped on them and Russia (the aggressor) gets new territory, validation of previous taken territory, no NATO etc. It hardly seems fair when they were the ones that started it. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So Ukraine get no bombs dropped on them and Russia (the aggressor) gets new territory, validation of previous taken territory, no NATO etc. It hardly seems fair when they were the ones that started it. 

yeah...but unless Nato get involved and a bigger war starts...Russia are going to win (eventually).

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Raab lied in the Commons according to DC.

Old DC seems to say he was at everything, and saying the right things

I was there at the conception of the 2nd child and I told him to withdraw.

I was in the room when Hitler decided to invade Poland and told him not to

I told God that there should be light but no apple tree

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Old DC seems to say he was at everything, and saying the right things

I was there at the conception of the 2nd child and I told him to withdraw.

I was in the room when Hitler decided to invade Poland and told him not to

I told God that there should be light but no apple tree

want to know more? please subscribe, only £10/month.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...but unless Nato get involved and a bigger war starts...Russia are going to win (eventually).

So lets just give them what they want anyway?

He'll come back for more eventually having learnt nothing from this.