news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Germanys decision to shut down all their nukes because of an earthquake in Japan when Germany doesn't have earthquakes is still one of the most baffling I think I've ever come across.

there's always been a big anti-nuclear movement in Germany, not just because of Fukishima but also previously because of Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. Nuclear power is far from perfect, accidents can and do happen, you have to dispose of the stuff, and you still need to source the raw material....but yeah, relying on Russian gas for most of your energy in hindsight was a big mistake. So, if they do sanction Russia's gas which would be a massive move, then they'd probably have to go back to coal in short term, build smaller nuclear power stations. not sure how quickly that can be done, invest massively in renewables, and look to buy energy from elsewhere. Italy has similar problem too.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

the new thing is seizing their assets where we steal what they stole from the russian people, and that makes us better... how!?

It's not about making us better...it's about destabilising Russia as much as possible. I guess the idea is these oligarchs might try and do something about putin if someone takes all their toys away.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

there's always been a big anti-nuclear movement in Germany, not just because of Fukishima but also previously because of Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. Nuclear power is far from perfect, accidents can and do happen, you have to dispose of the stuff, and you still need to source the raw material....but yeah, relying on Russian gas for most of your energy in hindsight was a big mistake. So, if they do sanction Russia's gas which would be a massive move, then they'd probably have to go back to coal in short term, build smaller nuclear power stations. not sure how quickly that can be done, invest massively in renewables, and look to buy energy from elsewhere. Italy has similar problem too.

Our economy is very dependent on russian gas, but also fuel (the OMV, the national fuel company has given some major credits to russian comapanies which will be scraped now) and other things. The lack of gas will certainly be a massive blow here. In the next few months it is secured, but prices for gas and normal fuel (at the petrol stations) are rocketing at the moment. This must be a nightmare for our green environmental minister Gewessler (worked for Greenpeace before) as one solution could be to get gas from the US, but this would be far more expensive and is not very environmental friendly. Another one which is thought about at the moment would be enforcing investments in wind-energy, but this will take a lot of time and be also very expensive. Nuclear-power is certainly no option here. so, there will be problems if situation is not improving and many countries who are dependent on gas-pipelines will have to act fast, because there will be high demand on a small market.

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Our economy is very dependent on russian gas, but also fuel (the OMV, the national fuel company has given some major credits to russian comapanies which will be scraped now) and other things. The lack of gas will certainly be a massive blow here. In the next few months it is secured, but prices for gas and normal fuel (at the petrol stations) are rocketing at the moment. This must be a nightmare for our green environmental minister Gewessler (worked for Greenpeace before) as one solution could be to get gas from the US, but this would be far more expensive and is not very environmental friendly. Another one which is thought about at the moment would be enforcing investments in wind-energy, but this will take a lot of time and be also very expensive. Nuclear-power is certainly no option here. so, there will be problems if situation is not improving and many countries who are dependent on gas-pipelines will have to act fast, because there will be high demand on a small market.

Our economy is very dependent on dodgy money.

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

the new thing is seizing their assets where we steal what they stole from the russian people, and that makes us better... how!?

Maybe it should be held in trust to help victims of war or to hep rebuild afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Maybe it should be held in trust to help victims of war or to hep rebuild afterwards. 

nah, let's piss it up the wall on downing street parties.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Germanys decision to shut down all their nukes because of an earthquake in Japan when Germany doesn't have earthquakes is still one of the most baffling I think I've ever come across.

Yea did seem a little of an over reaction. Firing them back up now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Russian economy is fucked.

It feels like a new type of warfare, different methods of course but similar in consequences to using nuclear bombs in 1945. Shows any other country that this can happen to them too if they dont stay in line. Cancelling a whole country, destroying their rich and poor in the hope they'll revolt and force regime change.

I am a bit concerned about spillover against normal Russians not living there though. When the social media mob mentality gets started it's hard to get it to just stop at the point you want it to.

Dehumanising anyone of Russian descent is a potential unintended consequence of this if it goes on long enough. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

My good news is that all our monitors were finally brought out and now safe in Moldova but sadly lost a a local member of staff in shelling in Kharkiv on Tuesday. Still can't believe we are where we are and bloody angry about it. Still several interpreters/drivers back with their families underneath all this. 

https://www.osce.org/chairmanship/513280

our

• Like 2

Just now, steviewevie said:

the bloke needs taking out, he's a fucking nutjob.

he's a gonna whatever happens, cant see how this can finish with him still in power.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It won’t do, he’d have to withdraw troops now to be able to survive in power. Even then it’s not certain. 

hes set the ground for withdrawing by saying service families will be supported.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you are fucking kidding me?! He must have some dirt on Johnson.

i think its mostly for arselicking johnson (don't visualise that, i made that mistake).

Edited by Neil