news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Been trying to work out what happens in Ukraine by what would be acceptable to putin, including  what he'd accept as a lose. 

that's the million dollar question. What does Putin want? I've heard people talk about what could they offer Putin so it looks like he got a win...Ukraine agrees to not join Nato for a period of time, if not ever? Russia gets those two regions (whatever they're called)? Russia gets land bridge from crimea to Russia? Or is it all or nothing?

Trouble is, I don't think Ukraine are going to offer anything now, they seem up for the fight.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Its cheap slurs to be honest...

Russia wasn't invading the Ukraine at the end of last year.

Only that that they had already invaded and occupied Ukraine in 2014.

And not forgetting the Nemtsov shooting, Litvinenko and Skripal WMD attacks in Britain, the Navalny poisoning and jailing, cyber attacks throughout the world, assisting the Assad regime, election interference. Think they might have been a bit more cognisant of the repeated warnings that were circulating over the last ten years about the insidious infiltration of Russian influence and money. No excuses unfortunately. 

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Only that that they had already invaded and occupied Ukraine in 2014.

And not forgetting the Nemtsov shooting, Litvinenko and Skripal WMD attacks in Britain, the Navalny poisoning and jailing, cyber attacks throughout the world, assisting the Assad regime, election interference. Think they might have been a bit more cognisant of the repeated warnings that were circulating over the last ten years about the insidious infiltration of Russian influence and money. No excuses unfortunately. 

I think it’s a big reason why Johnson is so cagey in sanctioning individuals, he might be forced into it eventually but it’s not good the longer and longer he takes to do it. 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

All in the context of us dropping bombs on kids in Iraq and Afghanistan around the same time.  So let's not act like our shit doesn't stink as well.

I still think its all bullshit party politics.   

Bit of pivot there. Don 't remember IS and Terry giving donations to UK parliamentarians.

It's not just party politics though - some of it is, but there's the whole national security aspect . If you want a 'whatabout' as well, then I think the same about Barry Gardiner and his receipt of Chinese donations - although apparently the story there is that SyS were informed from the beginning about those and likely that instructions given to maintain the relationship - hence no huge outcry and nothing really happening after Christine Lee was 'outed'.

Edited by Copperface

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

How long do you think it will be to find shady links if we dig into the Maxist Commie Loving Labour party ? 

Not long, but that's a whatabout, and they aren't in office/power. And I don't think such links would be as widespread, blatant and detrimental to the UK as the Russian links are and have been over the past several years.

Talking of which, whose idea was it to let Diane Abbott out on her own in public again? She is a car crash which happens every time. 

If I was being generous I would think she might be ill, but no-one is saying she is, and she just comes across as inarticulate, artificial, supremely slow of mind and an absolute gift to anyone looking to distract from Tory sleaze.(almost as good as Claudia Webbe's 'Berus' committee question. )

Edited by Copperface

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

If this war is all about oil and gas then Putin is very much fighting a 20th century war as this century hopefully the world will be moving away from the use of fossil fuels....and in fact he may have pushed europe into moving away from russian gas quicker than originally planned.

Think it has many reasons for the invasion. Nort sure we can ween ourselves off that quickly. I see Germany are upping coal fired stations. 

Germanys decision to shut down all their nukes because of an earthquake in Japan when Germany doesn't have earthquakes is still one of the most baffling I think I've ever come across.

I was chatting to one of my Russian colleagues this morning. Normally we have never ever discussed politics but I decided to be brave just ask how are things going over there. It's fair to say he's not a Putin supporter and is devastated by what is going on. He said that he doesn't know a single friend who supports Russia and this war. I believe some colleagues are currently in prison for protesting the war. He said he just wants to get out of Russia and never go back. 

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

There’s a reason why we are taking so long to sanction Oligarchs. 

the new thing is seizing their assets where we steal what they stole from the russian people, and that makes us better... how!?