news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Possibility that EU could be joining EU soon. So much has changed in just a week.

its not going to happen while involved in a war as that doesnt comply with eu rules. 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:06 PM, steviewevie said:

I also think it makes fuck all difference regarding Scottish independence.

i think it does i think they'll be more belief in the more extreme statements, cameron was lughed at when he said sindy would make war in europe more-likely,  at least now people can imagine a war in europe.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Kind of interesting that not much of a shit was given about what Russia/Assad was doing in Syria compared to Ukraine.

It's not interesting it's wrong every human life should be absolutely equal but we also all know that if someone gave you the choice of killing 10 strangers to save the person you love most that most people would kill 10 strangers. 

More of us have connections with people who live in Ukraine and so people care more because people they know are involved. I know it's the war that has felt most real to me but then today our stand up was cut short while our Project Manager went to hide in a bomb shelter and the fear in her voice is not something I'm going to forget in a hurry. 

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It's not interesting it's wrong every human life should be absolutely equal but we also all know that if someone gave you the choice of killing 10 strangers to save the person you love most that most people would kill 10 strangers. 

More of us have connections with people who live in Ukraine and so people care more because people they know are involved. I know it's the war that has felt most real to me but then today our stand up was cut short while our Project Manager went to hide in a bomb shelter and the fear in her voice is not something I'm going to forget in a hurry. 

I guess it's the fact that it's Europe...and it's Russia...and there's all that history. But you know...what happened in parts of Syria was a hell of a lot worse, so far anyway...Aleppo, chemical weapons etc...and then fortress europe when people were fleeing.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I guess it's the fact that it's Europe...and it's Russia...and there's all that history. But you know...what happened in parts of Syria was a hell of a lot worse, so far anyway...Aleppo, chemical weapons etc...and then fortress europe when people were fleeing.

Yes I agree. I think part of it also is that maybe we feel we can influence this one more. I have felt very helpless in a lot of previous invasions I personally think we're all citizens of the world and if I had my way people would be free to live anywhere. I don't believe the rock you were born on should give you so many more privileges than someone else. 

I do also think that personal connections are more motivating in people wanting to help and we have more connections with Ukraine than Syria. As awful as Syria was and I donated etc but I didn't know any individual stories so I slept as well as normal every night (normal is pretty badly by the way!) but this time it's not just some people for me, It's Nick, Artyom, Olga and Marina and many others that I know more distantly and that makes me more worried and as bad as that might sound that is human nature. We are not as evolved as we like to believe. Our brains are still wired for smaller communities. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I agree. I think part of it also is that maybe we feel we can influence this one more. I have felt very helpless in a lot of previous invasions I personally think we're all citizens of the world and if I had my way people would be free to live anywhere. I don't believe the rock you were born on should give you so many more privileges than someone else. 

I do also think that personal connections are more motivating in people wanting to help and we have more connections with Ukraine than Syria. As awful as Syria was and I donated etc but I didn't know any individual stories so I slept as well as normal every night (normal is pretty badly by the way!) but this time it's not just some people for me, It's Nick, Artyom, Olga and Marina and many others that I know more distantly and that makes me more worried and as bad as that might sound that is human nature. We are not as evolved as we like to believe. Our brains are still wired for smaller communities. 

yeah, I get it...I really do...just sickens me a bit with the way Syrian refugees were treated (and also Syria isn't much further away than Ukraine...). I can't imagine there will be a breaking point Farage poster with Ukrainian refugees anytime soon.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

at least this is all a nice distraction from the apocalyptic UN climate change report.

Yep not to mention our government treating a war as a perfect distraction to get on with all sorts of other shit housery like cuts to NHS budgets etc. I'm very glad I don't have kids. I always thought that we had 50-100 years left if we were lucky but it feels like Mad Max days are even closer than we think.