news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

EU with new sanctions:

financial support for weapons for ukraine

no Russian media in Europe allowed

no flights allowed in european air space

economical sanctions also against Belarus

RT getting banned here too? I guess that means Russia bans BBC and other western news channels (if they haven't already). 

Morning. Rouble has crashed. Supposed to be peace talks in Belarus today, can the Ukrainians trust they won't be poisoned or something? Apparently Belarus referendum passed allowing Russian nukes in. kyiv still not been taken but is surrounded. Russia making some advances elsewhere, but no quick victory for Russia. A lot could happen over next 24 hours.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I mean most Ukrainians will likely stay in nearby countries, but we should at least be welcoming to any that do want to come here...and you never know maybe the right wing zenophobic press won't be so much against this time either.

The racists in our government seem to not really want to help these people very much. We can and should be taking lots of people fleeing the war in Ukraine. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Morning. Rouble has crashed. Supposed to be peace talks in Belarus today, can the Ukrainians trust they won't be poisoned or something? Apparently Belarus referendum passed allowing Russian nukes in. kyiv still not been taken but is surrounded. Russia making some advances elsewhere, but no quick victory for Russia. A lot could happen over next 24 hours.

Peace talks without Zelensky though, right? Not sure how productive they will be but absolutely don't blame him for not going. Seems like a stitch up.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Peace talks without Zelensky though, right? Not sure how productive they will be but absolutely don't blame him for not going. Seems like a stitch up.

is he not? I assume Putin won't be there either. Anyway, it's good that they are at least talking, even though there doesn't seem to be much optimism of a break through.

If anyone hasn't signed this I'd be grateful if you would. I really want to tell my colleagues that we are not being complete c**** and that they are welcome. 

https://www.change.org/p/allow-ukraine-refugees-in-the-uk?recruiter=650078819&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=e051fde0-bf1f-11e6-a768-53fabe40ea3c

Thankfully all still safe but one of them is so hurt and angry that I am really worried for him.