news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

1. Isn’t stopping NATO expansion just giving into Putin’s threats?

2. Surely the decision of whether Ukraine joins NATO should ultimately be with the Ukraine people, especially when the graphic shows a map with Crimea very much grey and not pink?

I admit this is very much an over simplification.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

1. Isn’t stopping NATO expansion just giving into Putin’s threats?

2. Surely the decision of whether Ukraine joins NATO should ultimately be with the Ukraine people, especially when the graphic shows a map with Crimea very much grey and not pink?

I admit this is very much an over simplification.

I don't really know much about the whole situation but I stumbled on these clips on twitter and found them interesting 

12 hours ago, mattiloy said:

So wait, is Keir Starmer a nonce or not? I’m confused?

I presume your joking, but definitely not a nonce.

He was in charge of crown prosecution service when they chose not to prosecute Jimmy Saville, a decision they were later criticised for and that he apologised for. I don't think he was directly involved with the decision, but he was in charge at the time so you could say the buck stops with him.

Personally see it as a minor blight on his copybook, but think there are lunatics on the far right that see him as part of some conspiracy cover up which is ridiculous.

Obviously the timing of Boris Johnson mentioning it was just a blatant distraction from his own problems.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I thought it was proper random when Johnson brought up Savile in the Commons but I wasn't aware of the existing conspiracy stuff around it. Now it's hard not to see it as a bit of a dog whistle.

Yeah I was the same and was surprised when his own MPs and advisors attacked him for saying it. I now understand why. Very much Trump play book and dangerous approach to politics that can get out of hand. The attack on the senate last January looked like the precursors to a civil war. I really hope our politics isn't going down that route.

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Yeah I was the same and was surprised when his own MPs and advisors attacked him for saying it. I now understand why. Very much Trump play book and dangerous approach to politics that can get out of hand. The attack on the senate last January looked like the precursors to a civil war. I really hope our politics isn't going down that route.

I mean...it was bad, very bad...but it was only a few of them, and we've seen this before with attacks against Gove, Rees-Mogg, Soubry and journalists like Nick Watt and Owen Jones. So, it's a very small minority doing this sort of stuff, not sure we're at the same scale as the US, not yet anyway...But, Johnson should not be inciting this shit, he knows exactly what he's doing, he's a nasty twat and needs to be kicked out of office.

28 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I presume your joking, but definitely not a nonce.

He was in charge of crown prosecution service when they chose not to prosecute Jimmy Saville, a decision they were later criticised for and that he apologised for. I don't think he was directly involved with the decision, but he was in charge at the time so you could say the buck stops with him.

Personally see it as a minor blight on his copybook, but think there are lunatics on the far right that see him as part of some conspiracy cover up which is ridiculous.

Obviously the timing of Boris Johnson mentioning it was just a blatant distraction from his own problems.

They seem to have disregarded what a loyal Tory Savile was. Sure he was friendly with Thatcher?