news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

But the electorate want the Tories so by that logic we can't win.

I've not been kidding myself that the electorate are left wing.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

You realise there was no support for Brexit in the UK ten years ago, right?

Ukiop were around for 20 years with growing support.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

You realise there probably wasn't even a majority of support for it the day the referendum was announced?

Farage and Gove and that whole lot won the referendum by *changing people's minds*.

By moving the goal posts for what brexit would be

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Brexit happened because a group of people decided they didn't like the status quo, and were going to convince the public it was wrong. And they succeeded. Their methods were certainly questionable but their results are not.

The results are questions le because it's not delivered on their minimum hopes.

This one is interesting

don't know what Starmer stands for...but at same time don't like that he has played party politics during the pandemic (and this is kind of opposite to what is upsetting some in labour movement...that he hasn't attacked govt more during the pandemic)

And then something about debt.

So, Starmer has his work cut out. But, few years to go before next election for him to lay out what his labour party is for.

Maybe they'll replace him with Reeves, I'm sure that will go down well.

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I really think labour is fucked...and we are going to be stuck with tory governments for a long, long time.

Through Thelma Walker’s candidacy for NIP, I’ve discovered her podcast with Tom Widdicombe. If you’re feeling a little hopeless, like ’recharging your activism’ in a wholesome kinda way then it comes with my warm recommendation. Feels a bit like setting yourself down in leftfield for a bit.

I don’t think Starmer is the one tbh. I don’t know what comes next. But its heartening to remember that there are good folk out there keeping the flame burning and doing good things in the community all the time.

The latest ep with Clive Lewis is good. Feel that its a pity for him that he did that whole ’on your knees bitch’ comment after a bev at the conference and got sidelined just as his star was in the ascendency. He never really got over that.

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

Through Thelma Walker’s candidacy for NIP, I’ve discovered her podcast with Tom Widdicombe. If you’re feeling a little hopeless, like ’recharging your activism’ in a wholesome kinda way then it comes with my warm recommendation. Feels a bit like setting yourself down in leftfield for a bit.

I don’t think Starmer is the one tbh. I don’t know what comes next. But its heartening to remember that there are good folk out there keeping the flame burning and doing good things in the community all the time.

The latest ep with Clive Lewis is good. Feel that its a pity for him that he did that whole ’on your knees bitch’ comment after a bev at the conference and got sidelined just as his star was in the ascendency. He never really got over that.

yeah, well, I'm old enough to have seen and heard lots of good people saying good things that make me feel all hopeful but in the end it's pointless because the tories are always in power.

(I'll have a listen)

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well, I'm old enough to have seen and heard lots of good people saying good things that make me feel all hopeful but in the end it's pointless because the tories are always in power.

(I'll have a listen)

Yes, nonetheless, times are a changing. Maybe its the changing of the season but I feel weirdly optimistic.

Edited by mattiloy

34 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Yes. This should be a scandal, but it seems the general consensus is ‘That’s just Boris!’  And over a hundred thousand dead. I don’t get it. I don’t get why people like this guy.

The bumbling idiot persona lets him get away with a lot. 

Back when I was with my ex just after Boris made his first cock up I called him a massive idiot and shouldn’t be running the country. She told me to leave him alone because “he was trying his best”

That’s the kind of encouragement you give to a small child or someone with learning difficulties and not to the person whose supposed to be running the country. 

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yes, nonetheless, times are a changing. Maybe its the changing of the season but I feel weirdly optimistic.

Time are changing...in that we have a right wing government that are enacting policies that they know are popular... more police powers, stricter rules on asylum seekers so they get deported more easily, cutting foreign aid etc etc To be honest I'm worried which way this country is going post brexit. I guess you're hoping for some grassroots movement from the left to rise up and save us...feels like something coming from the extreme right is just as or more likely. You don't have to go far on social media to find outright racism and nationalism, there's a lot of it about.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Clive!Daisie a fan of political pacts because his seat is under threat from the greens.

Hub