news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

dont worry about a war  Ukraine, Putin doesn't w\ant to make Hitler's mistake of attacking in the winter.

Russia has always used General Winter as a last line of defence. Different situation completely when they are on the offensive. 

Winter is only an issue if you don’t have the supply train to back up an offensive. 

Hitler and Napoleon failed because they couldn’t supply their troops over a long distance. Putin doesn’t have that problem. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He’s also richer than the Queen (or his family are) so he has no idea how things are for the average family and you can see that with some of his actions so far through the points you mention. He seems pretty heartless when it comes to those less off and also seems to go missing when something serious happens. I’m pretty sure Labour/Starmer will be able to show Sunak up eventually. 

Starmer is worth an estimated £4 million so maybe he doesn't have an idea either.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Starmer is worth an estimated £4 million so maybe he doesn't have an idea either.

Starmer is from a working class family, so I would say he has an infinitely better level of understanding than Sunak. Good efforts of whataboutery though. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Really ? How so ? 

Do you think the average British voter wants an unintelligent uneducated fruit cake running the country ?  

We prefer educated fruit cakes.... 😛 

Who voters resonate with matters more than who they technically want running the country. That’s why populism works. 

50 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Really ? How so ? 

Do you think the average British voter wants an unintelligent uneducated fruit cake running the country ?  

We prefer educated fruit cakes.... 😛 

have you ever thought of going into politics ? I mean you seem to know what everyone wants so you would haven no issues getting elected ? 

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Where it counts, yeah. The Tories don’t have anything to counter her. She’s dangerous to them and Kier knows it. 

The problem is, she's pretty divisive. My centrist peers can't stand her and it's those people that Labour need to get the swing from.

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Where it counts, yeah. The Tories don’t have anything to counter her. She’s dangerous to them and Kier knows it. 

To be fair I doubt anyone that enters into a discussion by calling someone an ‘uneducated fruitcake’ is really entering into the discussion in good faith. He’s just after a bite as usual.

You are right with your point here, she is a threat to the Tories, especially to Johnson who always struggles when debating against a Woman in the Commons. 

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To be fair I doubt anyone that enters into a discussion by calling someone an ‘uneducated fruitcake’ is really entering into the discussion in good faith. He’s just after a bite as usual.

You are right with your point here, she is a threat to the Tories, especially to Johnson who always struggles when debating against a Woman in the Commons. 

We’re all familiar with the Tommy Tadpole level of argument by now. Worth exposing but not engaging with. 

The red wall is regained by a sense that the voter is understood and represented. Nobody in the current cabinet can manage that. As always, the Tories have dug their own grave. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

The red wall is regained by a sense that the voter is understood and represented. Nobody in the current cabinet can manage that. As always, the Tories have dug their own grave. 

They won an 80 seat majority while being led my a load of Eton and Oxford educated toffs same as they always are

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They won an 80 seat majority while being led my a load of Eton and Oxford educated toffs same as they always are

Not through their merits, though. Through a scandalous misinformation campaign and sycophantic media. Neither will be possible next time (as things stand). 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Do the Boris allies really not remember history, or is it a selective thing?

They removed Thatcher precisely because they thought she was going to lose them the next election (single biggest factor being the Poll Tax). Then 18 months later, the plan worked exactly as intended - with a new leader they changed course and won in 1992 by a decent margin.

By removing Thatcher when they did, they basically bought themselves another 5 years in power.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Do the Boris allies really not remember history, or is it a selective thing?

They removed Thatcher precisely because they thought she was going to lose them the next election (single biggest factor being the Poll Tax). Then 18 months later, the plan worked exactly as intended - with a new leader they changed course and won in 1992 by a decent margin.

By removing Thatcher when they did, they basically bought themselves another 5 years in power.

and we've been kind of thatcherite ever since...even when labour was in power.

• Downvote 1