news & politics:discussion

zahidf

36 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Partygate isn’t any of the main stories on BBC News today. Looks like kicking the can down the road has helped Johnson get away with it once again.

Of course he’ll get away with it, I’ve been saying it all along that this report was designed to do just that.

51 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Partygate isn’t any of the main stories on BBC News today. Looks like kicking the can down the road has helped Johnson get away with it once again.

unless there's any more leaks to press or that magic 54 is reached then it's not really main news until Gray releases report. There is other stuff happening.

The problem is that press keep being told different things by different people...so Gray report is this week, then it's weeks away, then it's imminent, now it's next week. So, yesterday was going to be the big day, but for whatever reason it wasn't, and that has taken some of the air out of it. I don't think we're going to hit that 54 now...maybe something will happen if tories do badly in May elections, but even then not sure now. Johnson's strategy of deny and ride it out really does work.

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The problem is that press keep being told different things by different people...so Gray report is this week, then it's weeks away, then it's imminent, now it's next week. So, yesterday was going to be the big day, but for whatever reason it wasn't, and that has taken some of the air out of it. I don't think we're going to hit that 54 now...maybe something will happen if tories do badly in May elections, but even then not sure now. Johnson's strategy of deny and ride it out really does work.

But the important thing is the memory of the electorate … Boris is known to be a Liar now and this can always be reminded closer to an election … he’s damaged goods 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

The problem is this was known before the last election and people didn't care...

Yeah of course … i just feel this runs a little deeper with the sacrifices everyone  made and an effective opposition can hammer this home in any election campaign … some of the heat will have gone out but there will still be smouldering anger … interesting to see if the polls start changing or have changed 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I do think it would be a risky idea for the Tories to go into another election with Boris...  but on the other hand Keir isn't going to cut through and this will be history by the time of the next election... 

Starmer could 'do a Biden' and win by virtue of the fact he's not the worst option to vote for.

Boris's days of bumbling and blustering his way through awkward situations with a shit eating grin and a little turn of phrase are well over now. He's a liability and their best chance of winning is with him gone. So I hope he stays.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah...  but it is a well used strategy to draw it out as long as possible and then people get bored and do actually just want to move on...

I do think it would be a risky idea for the Tories to go into another election with Boris...  but on the other hand Keir isn't going to cut through and this will be history by the time of the next election...  

I am starting to think he can ride this out.

Kier isnt cutting through ? Polls say very different at this stage 

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah of course … i just feel this runs a little deeper with the sacrifices everyone  made and an effective opposition can hammer this home in any election campaign … some of the heat will have gone out but there will still be smouldering anger … interesting to see if the polls start changing or have changed 

If this is case and you want Tories voted out then better he stays in place?

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Do they ?   Surely we can both accept the current lead Labour has (mid term - means nothing really) is 100% down to Boris hurting Boris rather than Starmer being loved and wanted by the British Public or are we going to sit here and play a game of lets fool ourselves ? 

Bit of both I’d say probably leaning to Boris doing most damage to himself .. but how it happens doesn’t matter so much … it’s what’s happened … yeah of course it’s mid term .. can’t disagree and no relevance at this stage but it’s clearly better to have a mid term lead to build on rather than a deficit that needs clawing back 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So depressing. But probably correct.

today is national holocaust memorial day, who are you going to holocaust in memorial.

there's an idiot up in liverpool who used to post here (this is what got him banned) who reckoned there was no evidence it happened.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

today is national holocaust memorial day, who are you going to holocaust in memorial.

there's an idiot up in liverpool who used to post here (this is what got him banned) who reckoned there was no evidence it happened.

To celebrate a Tennessee school board is banning Maus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/27/tennessee-school-board-bans-pulitzer-prize-winning-holocaust-novel-maus

Thought last night wouldn't have been a bad time to drip it. Gives him the maximum amount of time until the next time he has to be seen in public again.

Re there will be a new scandal soon? Er, the Afghan animals lie story was top on Sky news this morning.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

How depressing.

But, if any of you haven't read Maus, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Truly a masterpiece.

Edited by maelzoid
spelling error
  • Like 1