news & politics:discussion

zahidf

22 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Johnson has apparently been calling round to his MPs saying it’s all just a media- and Labour-led Witch Hunt against him and how he’s survived far worse in the past. Imagine this - and the ‘everyone was breaking the rules’ anyway line from that MP - are their two lines to see them through.

they're also going to use a threat of a general election, and Ukraine.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Doesn’t look like the report is coming out today, if not tomorrow then it’s next week as they all piss off on Thursday night.  Johnson is playing for time, allowing the whips and cabinet to bully , bluff and bribe the backbenchers to support him.  Cynical and corrupt.  

He’s a coward.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect lawyers going over it now that police are involved.

The Met say it’s fine as the max they would dish out is fixed penalty notices. I reckon Johnson has seen the report and wants to redact parts of it hence the delay. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Met say it’s fine as the max they would dish out is fixed penalty notices. I reckon Johnson has seen the report and wants to redact parts of it hence the delay. 

I think they're just playing PR spin games. They'll try to drop it after 8pm.

Other than doing the honourable thing and resigning if it is proved that he did lie to Parliament what is the actual legal penalty for it?

We know he doesn’t have any honour but can he legally be removed if the lies are proved to be true. 

We all know he did lie but it’s the proof that matters.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think its a tradition / expectation (its a code not a rule / law)...  I don't think its can be forced or automatic other than VONC.

Doing a little research on it now. He can be found in contempt of Parliament. Normally members who are guilty of it offer their resignation. 

The last time a MP didn’t resign for that charge was over 350 years ago and he was locked up in the tower. That’s the bell tower of Westminster. 

I’m half hoping Spaffer digs his heels in and gets dragged off to the tower in disgrace. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

found in contempt of Parliament.

that happened to cummings, nothing happened.

Edited by Neil

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s partly what I fear, it’ll be dropped at a suitable time to ensure Johnson gets as easy ride as possible. 

well...maybe....but that is not what press are saying...they're saying that Gray has not released to no.10 yet, maybe because a lot has to be checked...think we're just going to have to be patient.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...maybe....but that is not what press are saying...they're saying that Gray has not released to no.10 yet, maybe because a lot has to be checked...think we're just going to have to be patient.

Buying himself time to get his allies  to bully, intimidate and blackmail the back benchers who are thinking of putting in letters of no confidence. He is without principles and will do anything to hang on to power. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Buying himself time to get his allies  to bully, intimidate and blackmail the back benchers who are thinking of putting in letters of no confidence. He is without principles and will do anything to hang on to power. 

if he was really buying himself time we wouldn't be getting the report until after the police investigation is complete...

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

which will mean there is something in there thats not great for him ( obviously ) and thats the info the MET will get .... its not good either way for Boris ... the public have seen through him now ...