news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yep, he made another one last week. Something about a waistcoat. Pathetic. 

Is it a surprise to anyone that Johnson says these things? He’s a vile piece of work who the Tories allow to still be in charge.

Just get this report out, what’s the delay it’s apparently finished? I can only imagine Johnson is editing it. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Is it a surprise to anyone that Johnson says these things? He’s a vile piece of work who the Tories allow to still be in charge.

Just get this report out, what’s the delay it’s apparently finished? I can only imagine Johnson is editing it. 

People who support him don't care, they'll sit there and laugh and are teh same people that sit there and say that 'well if people don't want to die from Covid they should not be fat and get healthy' 

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

People who support him don't care, they'll sit there and laugh and are teh same people that sit there and say that 'well if people don't want to die from Covid they should not be fat and get healthy' 

They are the same people that lie about about everything just to ensure they win their seat too. They’ll gaslight us by saying we don’t care about these parties when people couldn’t see loved ones on their death beds and now they are laughing about fat jokes in the Commons. Disgusting. 

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

Not Starmers best performance at PMQs, I think Johnson got off lightly there

I saw somebody earlier* suggest Starmer was expecting the report to already have been available in time for PMQs - if he was working on this basis it might explain a bit of the lack of impact.

I agree he could have done better, but OTOH, let's see how Johnson's responses (or non-responses 😠) stack up once the report is published...

*I thought it was someone on here but can't find the post? Might have been on Twitter instead.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What else could he really do, this was essentially a pointless PMQs as the report isn’t out. 

Yeah should have been delayed until the report was published. Nobody gives a fuck about “question number one, Mr Speaker” 

The usual shouty lies from Johnson. I don't think he's even convincing himself with this act anymore. 

The two big things for me were Johnson clearly distancing himself from the Chancellor when he said he didn't sign off the £4bn write-off and he also walked into Starmer's trap when he acknowledged that he would have to resign if he is found to have broken the ministerial code.

Just now, kalifire said:

Yeah should have been delayed until the report was published. Nobody gives a fuck about “question number one, Mr Speaker” 

Sky News we’re saying that Sue Gray decides when the report will come out, Johnson decides what comes out. So a delay could mean she’s not happy with Johnson possibly editing the report. 

This whole thing has made me think that we as an electorate need a mechanism to force an early General Election. It would have to be something substantial like 2/3rds of constituencies to call for one but we need a mechanism to call one and kick out a crooked PM. 

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, so add fat shaming to Islamaphobia, racism, lying, law breaking etc 

Homophobia.

He's a real man of the people.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This whole thing has made me think that we as an electorate need a mechanism to force an early General Election. It would have to be something substantial like 2/3rds of constituencies to call for one but we need a mechanism to call one and kick out a crooked PM. 

So like a general election to decide whether we should have a general election?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

Obviously not. We need something so we aren’t relying on MPs of a one Party to finally act. 

But you’re talking about what, a referendum?

In which case what if the turnout on the referendum is say 50%? Or what if 2/3rds of the voters don’t vote for a general election (probable)?

Or do you mean calling an election if 2/3rds of the MPs vote for it? Because that already exists

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

But you’re talking about what, a referendum?

In which case what if the turnout on the referendum is say 50%? Or what if 2/3rds of the voters don’t vote for a general election (probable)?

Or do you mean calling an election if 2/3rds of the MPs vote for it? Because that already exists

I don’t know the exact mechanism, it was just a thought that we need something. Maybe create something new where if a certain number of people in their constituency petition for a GE then that constituency would be in favour, then if over time that happens in a certain number of constituencies that goes over a target (say over 50%) amount an early election is called.

I’m explaining it horribly but something that has element of a recall petition.

Edited by Ozanne

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Back from run. Not much happened then? All sounds like a repeat of last week's...Starmer going on about parties and Johnson being a twat, and Johnson being a twat to try and rally as much support from his MPs as possible. It's all about the report now...whenever it arrives and whatever is in it.

Johnson has apparently been calling round to his MPs saying it’s all just a media- and Labour-led Witch Hunt against him and how he’s survived far worse in the past. Imagine this - and the ‘everyone was breaking the rules’ anyway line from that MP - are their two lines to see them through.

Edited by Ryan1984

7 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Johnson has apparently been calling round to his MPs saying it’s a media- and Labour-led Witch Hunt against them and how he’s survived far worse in the past. Imagine this - and the ‘everyone was breaking the rules’ anyway line from that MP - are their two lines to see them through.

Not sure that's how the public see it.