news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It’s funny how the Tories are the party for the economy then they write off £4b of fraud. It’s funny how the Tories are the party of law and order then their leader gets investigated by the Police. Yet they’ll ignore all this and blather on with their lies. 

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

His reluctance to resign despite all the damning evidence just shows what a shallow desperate despicable character he is.  His previous employment record should have been enough to prove his unsuitability for the job asPM.  The bumbling buffoon act hides a cynical man willing to do anything to save his own skin. 

It says a lot about what the electorate will let him get away with. If this was happening in France there would be hundreds of thousands on the streets up and down the country and he would be forced to resign in disgrace. All the MPs who are deciding whether or not to oust him have their finger on the pulse of public opinion and that is what they’ll base their decision on. He survives because he is allowed to survive. 

10 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

It says a lot about what the electorate will let him get away with. If this was happening in France there would be hundreds of thousands on the streets up and down the country and he would be forced to resign in disgrace. All the MPs who are deciding whether or not to oust him have their finger on the pulse of public opinion and that is what they’ll base their decision on. He survives because he is allowed to survive. 

I've been wondering about this. Aside from the Boris lookalikes the other day, is there not any kind of protest planned? There was when he prorogued Parliament as I went to it.

The Met and Cress have been placed in an invidious position, yet again, by the Conservatives.

They really don't want to get involved in pure politics, which this is. It has always ended badly before (viz Mitchell/Green etc).

If you are of the opinion that everybody should be should be treated the same, then fair enough, the Met will do its investigation and, according to policy on the PHCDA restrictions and in line with the way every one else was dealt with in the past, and will simply offer words of advice and explain that what they did was wrong.

Remorse will be shown, and matter ended. Enforcement action was only taken when people refused to engage or take advice. This should be the same.

The political toll will be far heavier than any legal actions would be. However, if people start lying and covering up to thwart this investigation then it's a whole new ball game. 

46 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've been wondering about this. Aside from the Boris lookalikes the other day, is there not any kind of protest planned? There was when he prorogued Parliament as I went to it.

As well as protesting, it's worth contacting your local MP, especially if they are a tory.

Our Lib Dem MP has already issued a statement about the situation, and I have communicated my support as a constituent.

I know there are some tory MPs who will stand by BJ whatever, but I suspect there's also quite a few who will instead take their lead from the voices of their constituents, if they're expressed.

43 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The Met and Cress have been placed in an invidious position, yet again, by the Conservatives.

They really don't want to get involved in pure politics, which this is. It has always ended badly before (viz Mitchell/Green etc).

If you are of the opinion that everybody should be should be treated the same, then fair enough, the Met will do its investigation and, according to policy on the PHCDA restrictions and in line with the way every one else was dealt with in the past, and will simply offer words of advice and explain that what they did was wrong.

Remorse will be shown, and matter ended. Enforcement action was only taken when people refused to engage or take advice. This should be the same.

The political toll will be far heavier than any legal actions would be. However, if people start lying and covering up to thwart this investigation then it's a whole new ball game. 

Yes, indeed. But the outrage is not about the parties themselves, but about the gross double standards, hypocrisy, post hoc lies and cover up. None of which is illegal. From a legal standpoint, the worse BJ could get would be a fine.

47 minutes ago, Copperface said:

However, if people start lying and covering up to thwart this investigation then it's a whole new ball game.

We also have the curious possibility that people who have previously withheld information or communications might be compelled to release it to the police. Not telling the police everything is very different to not telling a civil servant everything.

If we end up with a published report that is missing details or contradicts anything uncovered in the investigation, it'll cause even more outcry. Who knows though!

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

As well as protesting, it's worth contacting your local MP, especially if they are a tory.

Our Lib Dem MP has already issued a statement about the situation, and I have communicated my support as a constituent.

I know there are some tory MPs who will stand by BJ whatever, but I suspect there's also quite a few who will instead take their lead from the voices of their constituents, if they're expressed.

Yeah I've done that in the past but mine is Labour and has been pretty vocal about Boris being shit in the past. Can't hurt though I guess.

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I've done that in the past but mine is Labour and has been pretty vocal about Boris being shit in the past. Can't hurt though I guess.

Absolutely. Most people who write to their MPs, do so with a complaint. So it's worth just sending a message that you support their actions.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Absolutely. Most people who write to their MPs, do so with a complaint. So it's worth just sending a message that you support their actions.

I'm just around the corner from you so you'll probably know who I'm referencing but I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than waste my time writing to my MP!

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm just around the corner from you so you'll probably know who I'm referencing but I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than waste my time writing to my MP!

I'm guessing NE Somerset constituency...?

Maybe you can do that hand-clapping thing in one of his surgeries....?