news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It does seem kind of mad with all the shit going on that the main news is whether 10 people in a room singing happy birthday is a party or not...but this is more than that, it is about Johnson knowingly breaking rules he had imposed on the country, rules that were there to reduce death and keep health services running, and then lying to parliament and the country about it and looking to blame others.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It does seem kind of mad with all the shit going on that the main news is whether 10 people in a room singing happy birthday is a party or not...but this is more than that, it is about Johnson knowingly breaking rules he had imposed on the country, rules that were there to reduce death and keep health services running, and then lying to parliament and the country about it and looking to blame others.

Exactly, it's the utter contempt for the British public and his role. He has become a distraction and you need to command at least a bit of respect to lead, even more so in times of crisis.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think they're trying to find a diplomatic solution, but Putin might have gone too far now and maybe can't back down to save face.

Or maybe the news is being slanted to distract the minds of electorates away from serious problems at home 🤔 Both Boris & Biden are in trouble.

As for Putin, you have to ask how the US would respond if an adversary expanded its influence and war hardware up to it's border. History tells us not too well.....re: Cuban missile crisis

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Or maybe the news is being slanted to distract the minds of electorates away from serious problems at home 🤔 Both Boris & Biden are in trouble.

As for Putin, you have to ask how the US would respond if an adversary expanded its influence and war hardware up to it's border. History tells us not too well.....re: Cuban missile crisis

So an invasion of Ukraine is somehow justifed?

Call me a conspiracy nut if you want but there’s a strong case for Cummings being a Russian agent. He lived in Russia for a while and managed to get himself into a position of power within the UK government. 

The timing of these revelations are interesting. Almost too perfectly timed to disrupt the UK government right when Russia are planning to take Ukraine. 

We’ll probably never know though within our lifetimes due to the time limits imposed on top secret documents. 

9 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I came back on Saturday from Kyiv. The only one playing to  a domestic gallery because he's in trouble is Putin.

The feeling is that there'll be another salami slice land/population grab. Not serious enough to warrant NATO intervention and the full sanction deployment, but enough to distract from domestic problems. Rinse and repeat over the next decade or two.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Call me a conspiracy nut if you want but there’s a strong case for Cummings being a Russian agent. He lived in Russia for a while and managed to get himself into a position of power within the UK government. 

The timing of these revelations are interesting. Almost too perfectly timed to disrupt the UK government right when Russia are planning to take Ukraine. 

We’ll probably never know though within our lifetimes due to the time limits imposed on top secret documents. 

if i was a russian agent why would i want to remove an incompetent fool as PM of my enemy country? 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I rarely come into this thread as the complexity and hypocrisy of politics is a subject beyond me, I tend to have a more simplistic, aspirational (some would say unrealistic or naive) and compassionate view on life but it appears to me as though the vast majority are preoccupied with arguing about these parties and not questioning why politicians on all sides are seemingly slowly guiding us towards the next global conflict. 

I think there's one politician who's invading a sovereign nation. Both sidesing Putin and Biden/BJ dear me. 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Trump news

Shows what the lack of a platform does for politics. And reiterates the power, therefore, of social media.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

I came back on Saturday from Kyiv. The only one playing to  a domestic gallery because he's in trouble is Putin.

The feeling is that there'll be another salami slice land/population grab. Not serious enough to warrant NATO intervention and the full sanction deployment, but enough to distract from domestic problems. Rinse and repeat over the next decade or two.

Yea. Its too telegraphed to be anything other than theatre. If Russia was going to properly invade Ukraine it would have done it all of a sudden one night in early January. It wouldn’t wait for the world’s press to write all their daft columns trying to do pop psychology on Putin.

The russian economy is fucked, inflation is nearly 10%, Putin’s approval rating is on the way down. A storm in a teacup.