news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Hoping for his Falklands moment.

Dear god, nothing is more terrifying than the thought of Johnson in charge during any sort of armed conflict. Genuine nightmare scenario, he’d probably try to make a joke & accidentally invade the Canary Islands or something. 😬

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Dear god, nothing is more terrifying than the thought of Johnson in charge during any sort of armed conflict. Genuine nightmare scenario, he’d probably try to make a joke & accidentally invade the Canary Islands or something. 😬

I was just thinking something similar, he failed epically to handle the pandemic let alone anything like a war with Russia.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Russia invades Ukraine don't think there will be much that NATO can or will do...just look on and hope ends as quickly as possible.

His people will try to put him front and centre of the international response though, however laughable it would be. It could be fun watching a 90 year old Biden put him in his place though!

The danger for those who want to oust Boris is that the Tory MPs, with whom have the power lays, get used to the drip, drip, drip of bad news. It's only when they get into true self preservation mode that their will be change.

18 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

It's the scientists and NHS that's saved his bacon during covid. He's had little input yet keeps trying to take the credit.

I rarely come into this thread as the complexity and hypocrisy of politics is a subject beyond me, I tend to have a more simplistic, aspirational (some would say unrealistic or naive) and compassionate view on life but it appears to me as though the vast majority are preoccupied with arguing about these parties and not questioning why politicians on all sides are seemingly slowly guiding us towards the next global conflict. 

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I rarely come into this thread as the complexity and hypocrisy of politics is a subject beyond me, I tend to have a more simplistic, aspirational (some would say unrealistic or naive) and compassionate view on life but it appears to me as though the vast majority are preoccupied with arguing about these parties and not questioning why politicians on all sides are seemingly slowly guiding us towards the next global conflict. 

I get that and yeah it would be nice if we could focus on the next global conflict (it would be nicer if that wasn’t happening at all!) but I think the video above shows why people are understandably angry over the parties. People made unthinkable sacrifices because the people in charge told us we needed too when sadly they were breaking the rules all along. It’s so close to home for so many. 

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think they're trying to find a diplomatic solution, but Putin might have gone too far now and maybe can't back down to save face.