news & politics:discussion

zahidf

But you’re missing the point that people have to appeal to voters outside of their entire base to win an election - something I think simply doesn’t happen here anymore. 

The tories are so comfortable with their base, and labour really struggles to pull votes away from the tories.

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But you’re missing the point that people have to appeal to voters outside of their entire base to win an election - something I think simply doesn’t happen here anymore. 

The tories are so comfortable with their base, and labour really struggles to pull votes away from the tories.

there are some tory voters who are socially liberal, who voted remain, and probably don't particularly like Johnson or some of those weirdos in his cabinet. Tory base is now a coalition of the different people who voted brexit...whatever class.

54 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There are staunch bases for both parties for sure but there are also tonnes of floating voters, who will have voted Labour during the Blair years and then switched to Tory in 2010. Labour need to win them back, it is as simple as that.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Proper phone company advert from the mid 2000s energy to all this bland generic guff. 

’The futures bright the futures orange’ was one. ’Carphone Warehouse, for a phone that works for you’ could easily be another.

Its painful to watch tbh.

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

Proper phone company advert from the mid 2000s energy to all this bland generic guff. 

’The futures bright the futures orange’ was one. ’Carphone Warehouse, for a phone that works for you’ could easily be another.

Its painful to watch tbh.

he's so urbane and cool. When he gets kicked out and replaced by Reeves maybe he could be the next James Bond.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

But you're missing the point that Corbyn baggage was repellant for many him siding with the IRA was unforgivable.fir others his stance on nukes wasn't supportable. 

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But you're missing the point that Corbyn baggage was repellant for many him siding with the IRA was unforgivable.fir others his stance on nukes wasn't supportable. 

I mean...I'm sure the expected bad result in Hartlepool will be a wake up call to Starmer and his team to set out a vision, why people should vote labour, and maybe some actual policies...but at same time this is a byelection in a weird place at a weird time so not sure how much we can read into it really. In that podcast I posted about Hartlepool labour people were saying they are not getting the total anger that they were when corbyn was leader, he really was a problem on the doorstep there...as someone on it pointed out, Starmer is not loved on the left like Corbyn was, but he is not hated by everyone else like Corbyn was. He's kind of beige. Not sure he can do much about his boring persona, but he can at least set out what the actual point of labour is instead of just not being tory.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...I'm sure the expected bad result in Hartlepool will be a wake up call to Starmer and his team to set out a vision, why people should vote labour, and maybe some actual policies...but at same time this is a byelection in a weird place at a weird time so not sure how much we can read into it really. In that podcast I posted about Hartlepool labour people were saying they are not getting the total anger that they were when corbyn was leader, he really was a problem on the doorstep there...as someone on it pointed out, Starmer is not loved on the left like Corbyn was, but he is not hated by everyone else like Corbyn was. He's kind of beige. Not sure he can do much about his boring persona, but he can at least set out what the actual point of labour is instead of just not being tory.

What's the point of a wishlist qqwhen not in power they can't happen.people know what Labour stand for?

Any flaw listed for labour on here is fair enough, but almost always is worse on the Tories side. 

Like someone says Labour is only soundbites. But Tories are in power and have the power to do something but still Boris only offer empty platitudes for the most part. Or sticks to ridiculous promises to the detriment of the country. Like Brexit is done but every tory talking point about brexit was a lie. Control our borders? they didn't control our borders to stop a flipping pandemic from ripping through the nation. 

"Labour has too much in fighting" - Boris and Dom Cum squabbled like children, they are all blackmailing each other, remember when everyone thought Gavin Williamson was gonna get fired and then he posted an ominous photo of himself sitting next to a ledger and a whip. Literally mafia style tactic, they probably all have on each other. 

"Labour are anti-Semitic" - The Tories are historically racist, filed a report that suggested there's no racism in the UK. Boris himself has said horrible horrible things about gay people and minorities. 

"Labour over no vision of the future beyond the tories are corrupt" - The conservatives literally keep saying stuff like "we are getting on with handling the coronavirus" then unnessecerily let thousands of people die to open shops before christmas. They say they are levelling up the north, but didn't give a shit about them when their cases were too high in the summer and locked them down for month and then when the north was finally getting better they let the oxford variant spread through the entire country. 

"Labour and Starmer don't actually do anything beyond criticizing the government" - Well, what is the opposition supposed to do beyond that, they are not in power, they can't make laws, they campaign for independent enquiries, constantly offered to work bipartisan with the tories, called them out on the second wave in october. - Starmer is wishy washy but he does well in PMQs finding creative ways to make boris look like an idiot despite knowing he wont answer the question. He constantly is posting his plan for recovery and jobs and visiting parts of the country. 

"Labour just want to spend public money" - Can't really make that criticism whilst we are in the pandemic and the tories are using public money for furlough, self employment help, universal credit uplifts. The exact things Labour would want to do. Yep it's an emergency but they are still doing it. And not to mention using it for failed contracts, ppe etc with their mates, the leaks we have seen probably just being the tip of the iceberg. 

Like Labour is for sure hugely flawed at the moment, but nearly every criticism thrown at them could be thrown at the tories tenfold. 

For so reason though people find Boris and his merry gang's corruption and racism "charismatic" and Keith is probably too boring for them. - In reality Boris is the biggest buffoon as they come, about as Charismatic as a dying chimp, I see why the country pity votes for him, but I would rather my politicians boring , then complaining about "Wokeness" and virtual signalling when they are biggest charades going 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Stop being dumbstarmer could be like Corbyn and promise themoon on sa stick, but everyone would know it's a hollow promise cos he wouldn't be in power to deliver any of it by winning a by election.

ok...well sorry for being dumb...so they haven't got any policies but they aren't tory and they don't have corbyn as leader anymore. And that's it?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer set out a vision with his pledges and people like you have spent the last six months being blind to it and pretending it doesn't exist.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/10/voter-id-plans-are-an-assault-on-democracy

Also I hope every person who was against Vaccination passports because it was "too authoritarian" gets mad about the Tories literally trying to make you require ID to vote. Much more problematic and authoritarian than temporary allowing businesses to recover and not infect their customers

Local activists on both sides are predicting a huge majority for the Conservatives in the Hartlepool by-election.

This suggests that further parts of the red wall that stayed Labour in 2019 (due to the BXP standing) are ripe to turn blue in the next GE. Starmer and the Labour Party have an absolute mountain to climb. They either need to somehow win back the red wall, or find a way to expand their grapplehold of metropolitan London to include traditionally Tory home county seats in places like Harlow. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Starmer set out a vision with his pledges and people like you have spent the last six months being blind to it and pretending it doesn't exist.

ok...right...the pledges...went back in thread and Haan posted them on p2...and they are pretty sexy...so Vote Labour Hartlepool you bastards.