news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour do need to learn lessons from 2019, which to be fair they are starting to do. That can only be a good thing, if you want an end to Tory rule that is…

The trouble is, after all your posting on the politics chat, I don’t think anybody is any the wiser to your political beliefs other than that you have a blind cultish loyalty to Starmer and you don’t like the tories.

And thats also Starmer’s problem. Eventually in an election campaign Starmer ask the country to vote for him based on him not being the tories. Maybe that will be enough given whats gone on the last month or so.

But i’d probably guess that if Boris goes then Starmer’s strategy of just spouting vague, bland manager speak clichés, won’t cut the mustard in an election campaign. Indeed the evidence suggests that it won’t - prior the tory meltdown it was quite clearly having zero cut through - Labour were polling at 2019 levels…so

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Eventually in an election campaign Starmer ask the country to vote for him based on him not being the tories.

He’s likely to win a an election campaign for Labour basically for not being Corbyn. 

Maybe it’s time you Corbyn fanatics actually backed him and actually give Labour a fighting chance of ousting the Tories. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

The trouble is, after all your posting on the politics chat, I don’t think anybody is any the wiser to your political beliefs other than that you have a blind cultish loyalty to Starmer and you don’t like the tories.

And thats also Starmer’s problem. Eventually in an election campaign Starmer ask the country to vote for him based on him not being the tories. Maybe that will be enough given whats gone on the last month or so.

But i’d probably guess that if Boris goes then Starmer’s strategy of just spouting vague, bland manager speak clichés, won’t cut the mustard in an election campaign. Indeed the evidence suggests that it won’t - prior the tory meltdown it was quite clearly having zero cut through - Labour were polling at 2019 levels…so

I’ve explained my political views many times, it’s not on me to spell it out for you all the time.

I see you haven’t even commented on the article in question, which doesn’t surprise me. You just exist on here to rant about Centrists for some reason.

Anyway, maybe focus on the article so you can see how Labour can repair the damage from 2019, that’s if you really want the Tories out of office.

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

He’s likely to win a an election campaign for Labour basically for not being Corbyn. 

Maybe it’s time you Corbyn fanatics actually backed him and actually give Labour a fighting chance of ousting the Tories. 

They would rather Tory rule than someone slightly different to their political leanings (that’s from the same team) which essentially makes them Tories. 

Edited by Ozanne

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They would rather Tory rule than someone slightly different to their political leanings (that’s from the same team) which essentially makes them Tories. 

Left Wing extremism had it’s chance at election. They lost badly to the Village Idiot. 

It’s time for the grown ups to be in power. Sensible, not corrupt and educated politicians who understand the countries needs. It might not be to everyones tastes but it’s what is needed after the recent shower of shite. 

I mean...no one knows how labour are going to do against tories with a different leader...no doubt whoever takes over will give the tories a bounce in the polls, just have to see how long they can keep it going, and what happens to the economy etc. Starmer needs more tory division and fuck ups, but also needs to look a safe pair of hands and also to offer something better than we have now. Labour are still damaged on the economy, and also on all the crime and defence and stuff like that...so Starmer working to shore up some of that...it will upset those on the left who want more radical nationlisation projects etc., but that is obviously the strategy...have to see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Left Wing extremism had it’s chance at election. They lost badly to the Village Idiot. 

It’s time for the grown ups to be in power. Sensible, not corrupt and educated politicians who understand the countries needs. It might not be to everyones tastes but it’s what is needed after the recent shower of shite. 

To be fair Johnson is an electoral machine so that was always gonna be tough. They should’ve beaten Theresa May though given everything that was going on with Brexit and how bad she was; that was there for taking. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

To be fair Johnson is an electoral machine so that was always gonna be tough. They should’ve beaten Theresa May though given everything that was going on with Brexit and how bad she was; that was there for taking. 

brexit totally fucked labour in 2019...good and proper...whoever was leader would have struggled with that.

In 2017 May campaigned terribly and Corbyn campaigned well, and it ended up being a lot closer than expected.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

brexit totally fucked labour in 2019...good and proper...whoever was leader would have struggled with that.

In 2017 May campaigned terribly and Corbyn campaigned well, and it ended up being a lot closer than expected.

Labour should’ve won in 2017, they bet nearly did but given how May was that was a massive missed opportunity.

In 2019 if there was any other Labour leader there wouldn’t have been an election as we’d have had a government of national unity. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry I’ve been dipping in and out of this. Do we expect Boris to stay on now?

who knows....may reach the 54 letters after Gray report depending on what's in it...and then will come down to the confidence vote which Johnson will probably win, but how much by will determine if he's safe or not. And then next crunch point is after May local elections if tories do really badly...that may force something to happen.

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If that were true, how do you explain his poor performance in the polls up until the tory implosion? And still struggling with his own personal approval rating?

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve explained my political views many times, it’s not on me to spell it out for you all the time.

I'm not sure you have. I think I know that you're probably an FBPE type but besides that its anybody's guess... I'd love to know where you stood on the nationalisation of rail for instance, as a decent indicator of where you are on economics?

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe for you its all about tribalism, but for me its more than just cheering for a footie team.

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Left Wing extremism had it’s chance at election.

Go on, which Corbyn-era policies embodied left wing extremism best?

• Upvote 2