news & politics:discussion

zahidf

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

lot of disgusting comment around this defection from the labour left, cos if previously-tory-supporters aren't wanted, labour is going nowhere.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

lot of disgusting comment around this defection from the labour left, cos if previously-tory-supporters aren't wanted, labour is going nowhere.

Unfortunately too many Labour members/supporters are more content on being on the sidelines and being self-righteous than actually doing what is required to get in government and make impactful change.

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

His behaviour in PMQs yesterday suggests to me he's already confident of getting away with it.

I think Bojo's performance yesterday was all about surviving the day:  little beyond. Two awful days in a row would have seen the curtains drawing excruciatingly tight on his premiership.

Bad news is queuing up ahead. There's Gray, inflation, energy, energy costs, rise in national insurance etc. And if living standards decline deeper in the UK than in the EU his cherished Brexit claims will bite him in the arse.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I think Bojo's performance yesterday was all about surviving the day:  little beyond. Two awful days in a row would have seen the curtains drawing excruciatingly tight on his premiership.

Bad news is queuing up ahead. There's Gray, inflation, energy, energy costs, rise in national insurance etc. And if living standards decline deeper in the UK than in the EU his cherished Brexit claims will bite him in the arse.

Not to mention local elections in May.

Another astonishing morning for the Tories. Allegations of blackmail and intimidation along with Sue Gray getting more incriminating emails on Johnson.

If those allegations are true it’s very serious and not only a breach of Commons rules but illegal too. This level of infighting is never viewed well by the public but allegations like this is just more evidence why Johnson is just an awful person to be PM. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I guess risk is the news cycle could move on and people will have forgotten about all this in 6 months time...?

I reckon he’s at the Blair/Corbyn point of no return. Just unsalvageably unpopular, lost the dressing room. Trust matters a lot to voters (particularly those who aren’t prepared to digest the latest social science literature) and once its broken its hard to recover - even assuming there would be no further scandal and that the country would turn a corner and start to thrive in the time left until the next GE, which is doubtful.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Au contraire - I’m sure I speak for most of we left leaning ones when I say I’m all for giving people who have changed their mind a chance.

But this guy has said he hasn’t changed his politics. So he’s presumably still committed to some degree to the core tory principles of individualism and the free market which should put him at odds with the Labour party. If he’s saying it doesn’t and the Labour leadership is saying it doesn’t, then whats that saying about Starmer’s Labour?

And then theres these texts. Feels weird to read them and then consider that this guy, who says his politics haven’t changed, is now a Labour MP no?

63EDA2DA-9D19-450B-AD1C-891DE6BC30EF.webp

9BB1AF2F-3E40-4009-9D29-2E8D7370992C.webp

2F9143DC-2E15-4561-AA65-5EE58E7E1A68.webp

Edited by mattiloy

Utterly incredible that blackmail and intimidation are being used against those who would vote against Johnson.  How can this continue? This government is corrupt and incompetent. I would imagine pressure will also be exerted on Sue grey compiling the report. We used to laugh at the dictators in South America etc. this is just as bad.  

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Utterly incredible that blackmail and intimidation are being used against those who would vote against Johnson.  How can this continue? This government is corrupt and incompetent. I would imagine pressure will also be exerted on Sue grey compiling the report. We used to laugh at the dictators in South America etc. this is just as bad.  

There was signs of this back in 2019 when Johnson sacked the Brexit rebels but nothing like this. Blackmailing constituency funding is very serious and borders on dictatorial. Johnson is a huge danger to this country. 

If he can do this to his own Party imagine what he would do to the rest of us. 

Edited by Ozanne

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

How so ?  Covid restrictions being dropped ? 

You can always just go and buy an N95 mask. 

I already have one … and have done for quite some time but thanks for the advice … in many ways I’m delighted about the restrictions being dropped of course and happy people don’t have to wear masks that they don’t like … higher community prevelance will and does make things more risky and yes I’ve had my 3 doses and trust the vaccine .. but untill you’ve had it and are recovered you still don’t quite know . Anyway back to Boris … had a wander and couldn’t find him ..