news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, he is good at winning elections...but now he has to win from a position of power and defend his record...

him aas pm is going just how many predicted.

Not sure how well the defection yesterday worked for labour. I guess it will help persuade people who voted tory in last election feel it's ok to vote labour now, but at same time it has probably helped Johnson stay in power, and both Tory and labour parties in Bury South are pissed off about it. Probably not a great move by Wakeford in terms of his career.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure how well the defection yesterday worked for labour. I guess it will help persuade people who voted tory in last election feel it's ok to vote labour now, but at same time it has probably helped Johnson stay in power, and both Tory and labour parties in Bury South are pissed off about it. Probably not a great move by Wakeford in terms of his career.

Yup. If the reports are correct its done more harm than good. With people withdrawing their letter because they're children and couldn't shout first and then with him more than likely losing his seat. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I guess he will claim Reynolds never passed on the email or spoke to him about it ? 

lets hope theres evidence of it being forwarded to Boris .... if its in the form of a discussion Boris will weasel his way out of it with some flannel 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

lets hope theres evidence of it being forwarded to Boris .... if its in the form of a discussion Boris will weasel his way out of it with some flannel 

The thing is, if he is in the forward, he can claim he never read it.

Either way, if the email comes about I can see Reynolds and a few major players at the party stepping down. 

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

The thing is, if he is in the forward, he can claim he never read it.

Either way, if the email comes about I can see Reynolds and a few major players at the party stepping down. 

I think there's going to be a cull of top civil servants, right? Isn't that part of the operation save big nob or whatever it's called.

I was listening to political commentator bloke Steve Richard's podcast the other day, and he reckons Johnson doesn't like parties or drinking, he's an extrovert on the stage but an introvert in real life who ust likes reading and writing about classics and churchill in his spare to,e. Carrie likes a party though, and Johnson likes to please people, and is at heart a libertarian who doesn't like to follow rules.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

true ... but if he replied then hes banged to rights 

If he replied then he's a bigger idiot than I thought.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think there's going to be a cull of top civil servants, right? Isn't that part of the operation save big nob or whatever it's called.

Yup, if the stories are correct. Email will be found, people will step down to take the blame off of Boris and then he can claim he never saw the email but did the right thing in the end. 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But if he culls Civil servants he'll create even more sources and the leaks will never stop... He'll try to lean on Gray to ensure the report does not say he broke the law and Reynolds will be the fall guy, no doubt paid handsomely for his troubles. His behaviour in PMQs yesterday suggests to me he's already confident of getting away with it.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Correct. Far better to ignore the foolhardy liberals desperate for him to go as motivated by an obsessive personal hatred, blind to strategy, and instead just sit back and let the wound fester.

He’s a liability and a millstone for the tories now, long may he reign!

Edited by mattiloy

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Correct. Far better to ignore the foolhardy liberals desperate for him to go as motivated by an obsessive personal hatred, blind to strategy, and instead just sit back and let the wound fester.

He’s a liability and a millstone for the tories now, long may he reign!

I guess risk is the news cycle could move on and people will have forgotten about all this in 6 months time...?