news & politics:discussion

zahidf

BoJo winning a VONC would be great for Labour. Presuming the next Tory leader votes in his favour, they're tied to the shitshow that has been and is to come. Hard to separate yourself from this utter crapfest that is BoJo's lockdown parties when you've then voted to support the lying, cretinous oaf.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Does anyone really see him losing a VONC ?   I can't see it...

I can see it being a signal to him he has to manage his own departure properly though.  He can't survive and run in the next election I don't feel.

I was thinking about this earlier. I think he's still got enough support to survive it but I think it will be the beginning of the end for him and there'll undoubtedly be a new leader by the next election.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

He will want to declare his victories - Brexit and beating covid...  and then say its now time to spend time with his 67 children...

Yup, that's how I see it panning out. He'll make it look like he's leaving on his own terms and appeal to all the populists about the great stuff he's done. And it'll probably work.

15 minutes ago, MrHew said:

I was thinking about this earlier. I think he's still got enough support to survive it but I think it will be the beginning of the end for him and there'll undoubtedly be a new leader by the next election.

He might hang on but then get booted out if tories do really bad in local elections in May.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

..of course with a different tory leader labour could see that poll lead evaporate.

Always a risk, but I don't see the 'red wall' staying blue now. I think there was a specific attraction to Johnson from these areas and once he's gone and they realise that they are poorer for the experience, the majority will be back to Labour. However, it's clear that those seats must now be classed as 'floating' and Labour will have to work hard to get and keep them. A massive focus on the Midlands and north needed from Labour now.