news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I mean...I might get burned for this...but I actually think Boris breaking some lockdown rules and there being some drinks parties in downing st is not the worse thing in the world, same as I didn't think it was with Cummings...imo Cameron and his savage austerity was worse (but I guess not illegal), and then there's Blair and Iraq...but at same time Johnson becoming PM in first place was ridiculously depressing...privilieged eton posh lad just made it look so easy...but also at the same time apart from some of his populist stuff to tickle the base on statues or the eu or whatever he isn't that right wing in terms of economics...tax and spend etc..and I can't see Sunak or Truss being so committed to net zero and levelling up etc....so...basically I don't know what I think about it all...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone seen the Johnson interview by Beth Rigby on Sky...he's fucked.

I just can't bear to sit through it, but have seen the headlines.

"Nobody said... this was something that was against the rules"

Er, yes... The government said it. YOU said it. That's why nobody else was having parties. That's why you kept it secret for 18 months. That's why people are outraged now. 

This 'defence' just beggars belief.

47 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...I might get burned for this...but I actually think Boris breaking some lockdown rules and there being some drinks parties in downing st is not the worse thing in the world, same as I didn't think it was with Cummings...imo Cameron and his savage austerity was worse (but I guess not illegal), and then there's Blair and Iraq...but at same time Johnson becoming PM in first place was ridiculously depressing...privilieged eton posh lad just made it look so easy...but also at the same time apart from some of his populist stuff to tickle the base on statues or the eu or whatever he isn't that right wing in terms of economics...tax and spend etc..and I can't see Sunak or Truss being so committed to net zero and levelling up etc....so...basically I don't know what I think about it all...

Ever heard of leading by example? Enough said, he has to go.

I do hear what you’re saying about Cameron and Blair etc but this isn’t just about the fact he broke his own rules, it’s more wide reaching than that. It’s about the trust of the public in politicians (and the police) living and abiding by their own rules and ensuring that the population can trust them that they have our best interests at heart. These are the cornerstones of good democracies so Johnson’s actions are more wise reaching than him just getting a fine for breaking lockdown rules. Politicians have to be held to account and if they’re not it’s a slippery slope 

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yessir. Boris is not uniquely shit, just the latest edition, and when its a pattern eventually you have to ask questions about the mechanisms that determine who our decision makers are. Candidates are often selected by small party committees with their agenda set by whatever cabal runs the respective party at the time, they are almost impossible to remove once selected, they maintain their seat in most cases by securing the approval of less than a majority of the voters in their constituency.

If you view the system today as a product of an evolutionary arc from the feudal system, the trend has been every hundred years or so, a reluctant relinquishing of a bit of power. So, we are still at a point where the system retains too much power for the, yes I’ll use that word, ’elites’. And my feeling is that we've stalled in our progression along that arc, and PR is the only way to kick start things again.

16 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Ever heard of leading by example? Enough said, he has to go.

I do hear what you’re saying about Cameron and Blair etc but this isn’t just about the fact he broke his own rules, it’s more wide reaching than that. It’s about the trust of the public in politicians (and the police) living and abiding by their own rules and ensuring that the population can trust them that they have our best interests at heart. These are the cornerstones of good democracies so Johnson’s actions are more wise reaching than him just getting a fine for breaking lockdown rules. Politicians have to be held to account and if they’re not it’s a slippery slope 

But...wasn't that the appeal of Johnson...a bit of a rule breaker but got things done...but I guess with lockdown restrictions it's different as for a lot of people had a right old shit time of it and the fact that he wasn't abiding by the rules he put the country under is all the more galling.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

If you are saying that you don't understand the rules that you are giving press conferences on every day of the fucking week then sod resigning because you are lying but resign because you are blatantly too stupid to run the country. 

That hole he's digging is just getting deeper and deeper isn't it?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

However the amount they spent on an ineffective track and trace system could have solved homelessness in this country or given nurses a payrise for 50 years. The austerity that will follow all this could be the worst ever. His biggest crime isn't his drinks in Downing Street although at a time when people were forced to let loved ones die alone it is actually a lot worse than just a few rinks sounds. 

Cameron will always go down as one of the worst ever because of Brexit but once all of this is over and the damage is assessed Johnson will definitely be up there. 

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ah, when in trouble just wheel out the old ‘no one told me it was wrong so it’s not my fault’ excuse. The fact that he led the government that made the rules kinda makes that excuse yet another pile of shite 

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

However the amount they spent on an ineffective track and trace system could have solved homelessness in this country or given nurses a payrise for 50 years. The austerity that will follow all this could be the worst ever. His biggest crime isn't his drinks in Downing Street although at a time when people were forced to let loved ones die alone it is actually a lot worse than just a few rinks sounds. 

Cameron will always go down as one of the worst ever because of Brexit but once all of this is over and the damage is assessed Johnson will definitely be up there. 

Not sure if we'll get austerity again...not any time soon...although maybe Sunak or Truss or whoever will be less willing to raise taxes and increase spending as Johnson seems to be. Austeriy failed, not only did it cause a lot of the shit that we're still living with today, but it didn't even succeed in reducing the deficit. A whole lot of hardship for nothing.

53 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

If you are saying that you don't understand the rules that you are giving press conferences on every day of the fucking week then sod resigning because you are lying but resign because you are blatantly too stupid to run the country. 

To be fair, they were all shitfaced. 

30 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

To be fair, they were all shitfaced. 

If you are that shitfaced before you even arrive at the party!!! Honestly I'm kind of sick of suffering at the hands of these public school boys because they weren't hugged enough as children and turn out to be sociopathic arseholes.