news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I adore the BBC. I always say that Great Britain has 3 things to be truly proud of the BBC, the NHS and Glastonbury. The tories seem intent on ruining 2 of the 3. 

People forget just what a huge range of stuff the BBC provides us with. It's not just TV, it's their range of radio stations, their website, the iPlayer and really they do a remarkable job. Is it flawless no absolutely not and in recent years I have been frustrated at times by their news coverage etc but I have always been careful of how I criticised because I saw this coming. They are doing the exact same with the NHS. I've had some pretty shitty experiences of the NHS in the last 2 years but again it doesn't mean I want the entire thing dismantled because the alternative is sooooo much worse. 

I saw a tweet earlier about the recipes on their site - and how there’s no faffy intro on them. It’s a fine resource.

Throw in the children’s TV - remember them showing educational shows at the start of the pandemic - and there’s so much to be proud of.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I saw a tweet earlier about the recipes on their site - and how there’s no faffy intro on them. It’s a fine resource.

Throw in the children’s TV - remember them showing educational shows at the start of the pandemic - and there’s so much to be proud of.

maybe if it was a subscription streaming service it would actually do very well and be a big problem for other streaming services which currently don't actually make money.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't get this ?  He was working so he was fine to travel ?

He was telling people not to travel to second homes, then travelled to his second home. It's the sort of thing that isn't a big deal on its own it make sense for the PM and his family not to be staying in the flat above the only open nightclub in the country but it's just another part of them ignoring their own rules.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Its not a "home" as such though is it... They are all offices in some form or another.  

I am with everyone on party gate - but this one doesn't stick if you engage your brain and sprinkle a little bit of reality  on the life of being the PM...

The focus on his wife I find a bit ghoulish.  She isn't elected and I don't really expect anything from her beyond a normal citizen.

If the flat in Downing Street isn't a home why all the brouhaha over redecorating the place?

As I said it isn't a big deal on it's own but it does chime with what we know about ignoring rules.

It's been two days and I still can't stop laughing that we have a Prime Minister who refers to himself, or at least allows himself to be referred to, as "big dog".  

Maybe it's time for him to visit the vets and have his bollocks cut off, although that ship has probably sailed already.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's been two days and I still can't stop laughing that we have a Prime Minister who refers to himself, or at least allows himself to be referred to, as "big dog".  

Maybe it's time for him to visit the vets and have his bollocks cut off, although that ship has probably sailed already.

No 10 denies reports Boris Johnson was warned in advance that party on 20  May 2020 was mistake – UK politics live | Politics | The Guardian

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can't see the Tories looking at these polls and thinking Boris is a keeper. There's new stories every day about him and this is before all the cost of living issues. He's so done.

its all going like  you expect from boris. also see mayor of London, that's going to hit the fan again.

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The focus on his wife I find a bit ghoulish.  She isn't elected and I don't really expect anything from her beyond a normal citizen.

The same carrie Johnson who likes to influence things around Downing Street and attends the work parties alongside  Boris ? If you cant take the heat get out the kitchen i think is the expression thats relevant here .... normally Id agree in terms of going after someones other half but not here ... she's very much an influencer around downing street and Boris will know what she's up to ... so it all plays into his lies and deceit 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its not a "home" as such though is it... They are all offices in some form or another.  

I am with everyone on party gate - but this one doesn't stick if you engage your brain and sprinkle a little bit of reality  on the life of being the PM...

Think there is quite a bit of misogyny against Carrie - especially from Cummings?

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thing is...do MPs trust Cummings more than Johnson? Don't think there's a lot of love for either of them. Whether Johnson lied to Commons or not won't be part of Gray's investigation...so up to MPs to decide.

It’s more that he’s saying that he and the others that raised the party with the PM will testify under oath about it, if he’s willing to go under oath then in theory there must be an element of truth at least. You would think there would be some proof of this, something like a WhatsApp will do.