news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

This is from biased BBC's Nick Eardley...

Sue Gray's report is a fact-finding mission but within government it is expected she will say whether various gatherings were appropriate or not.

She will not say whether gatherings or parties broke the law - or what any punishments should be.

There is no date scheduled for its publication yet. The hope is it can be published as soon as possible - possibly by the end of the week.

However, I understand because some allegations have just come to light, it is possible it could be published the week after.

she's got a lot to do, there's eighteen parties to be investigated.

It has nothing to do with the perceived bias. Its an excuse.

The BBC is one of the biggest media organisations in the world with a brand that is more or less the gold standard for news and reporting and programming that is syndicated everywhere.

The capital value of the BBC is in the tens of billions of £. It would easily be one of the largest companies on the FTSE.

As with royal mail, as with the utilies, as with student loans, as with rail, as with the NHS - privatising the BBC would end up being extremely profitable for the private money that fills in the vacuum left by the government pulling out. Thats what its really about.

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

privatising the BBC would end up being extremely profitable for the private money that fills in the vacuum left by the government pulling out. Thats what its really about.

i reckon they'd be a good case for awarding the shares rto those households who pay the last five years of licence fee,. if that idea took and stuck it'd screw up the govt plans.

after they came for the bbc, they came for the nhs.

I expect we're going to see a rash of announcements. Anything and everything to try and distract the public and move the issue on. It's a well known tactic. Expect a  reannouncement of building a bridge to Ireland and combining it with a garden!

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I expect we're going to see a rash of announcements. Anything and everything to try and distract the public and move the issue on. It's a well known tactic. Expect a  reannouncement of building a bridge to Ireland and combining it with a garden!

more govt by bullshit.

26 minutes ago, Lycra said:

One of the papers yesterday said part of ‘Operation Save Big Dog’ was populist announcements…

On 1/15/2022 at 11:38 PM, Ozanne said:

I’m not sure on that yet as I think it’ll galvanise the Tories and potentially draw a line under it. However it could also tar the Tories by sticking with Johnson. I think it’s probably wise to wait, see what else comes out and then call the VONC after something else damaging is out.

The other aspect is that it doesn’t trigger a GE straight away. Under the FTPA there would be 2 weeks for someone to be able to command the confidence of the Commons, if no one can’t then an election is called. It would be too messy for the Tories as they’d either have to go into an election with Johnson or rush a leadership election. 

The Lib Dems have now tabled a Vote of No Confidence:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/lib-dems-motion-of-no-confidence-johnson/

Hopefully Labour will back them in opposing the Tories.

The Tories have found 2 ways to make me angry in one day. Their attack on the BBC is horrible news, but they are also planning an attack on end to end encryption, which is the digital equivalent of saying nobody should have locks on their house doors:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/revealed-uk-government-publicity-blitz-to-undermine-privacy-encryption-1285453/?fbclid=IwAR3Nm8Q8U6XzR5QYKnZZtb_fy3iY0eV-1uf9HxDAVaQPF41pvhpelcLUIUQ

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Look over there...BBC, MIGRANTS, STARMER HAVING A BEER!

i want to upvote this, but am w orried it might look like i'm approving the words, which i'm not.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Nothing like a bit of BBC and migrant bashing to excite the base and save Bojo's neck.

Yes, send in the gun boats, starve the lefty bbc of cash, I understand it’s being labelled operation red meat designed to bolster operation save big dog.  This is getting like a monty python sketch.  Sounds like big boys at Eton or Harrow having a jolly wheeze at the country’s expense. 

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, send in the gun boats, starve the lefty bbc of cash, I understand it’s being labelled operation red meat designed to bolster operation save big dog.  This is getting like a monty python sketch.  Sounds like big boys at Eton or Harrow having a jolly wheeze at the country’s expense. 

it will probably work too.

I certainly use the beeb a lot, there website to get news, some great comedy on the various channels, radio is always one of the BBC stations. My daughter never really uses it,  so I can see the arguments

The world service would probably be a great loss though. Hearing the other day how that is a massive life line to lots of people around the world

26 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I couldn't disagree more.  BBC News still remains my go to starting point for news.  Excellent broad coverage not just of the UK but globally.

yeah, i agree, it sets a quality threshold that other broadcasters try to meet, and it stops uk tv beingf trash like us tv.