news & politics:discussion

zahidf

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Boozy Keir having another work meeting 😛

image.png.a7d39580a618b6b2aabd6bd040bba15a.png

As it’s the third time you’ve mentioned it I’ll take your bait Barry … probably not perfect in terms of optics … but plenty of times I had a beer during the pandemic and I just didn’t happen to have paps waiting … desperation tactics from the daily Mail as this was In the public domain months ago … probably wasn’t the best thing to do but I think it’s pretty fair to say that most people broke restrictions in some minor way at some point … I broke the rule of 6 rule during eat out by having a couple of extra households for one of best friends leaving … .It’s very very different to Boris / Downing Street and their persistent partying … and lying about it to HOC … from someone who set the rules for us to follow 

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly won't make matter as tradition dictates the LOTO can only table a VONC in the Commons and as such their MPs don't take part.

It doesn't matter whether it's introduced by the LOTO or not as it's not a real no-confidence motion regardless of that.

Basically - No confidence in the Government is a legally defined motion that (if passed) has serious and fixed consequences.

No confidence in the Prime Minister (ie this), isn't a thing in British law. It's bullshit political theatre with no end game. Corbyn did try to introduce the same motion against Theresa May, but because it's not a real thing the Government didn't allow time for it and he eventually had to back down and try for a real no-confidence vote (which inevitably failed).

It's a stupid move, and it's a transparent attempt to try to get press.

Just now, incident said:

It doesn't matter whether it's introduced by the LOTO or not as it's not a real no-confidence motion regardless of that.

Basically - No confidence in the Government is a legally defined motion that (if passed) has serious and fixed consequences.

No confidence in the Prime Minister (ie this), isn't a thing in British law. It's bullshit political theatre with no end game. Corbyn did try to introduce the same motion against Theresa May, but because it's not a real thing the Government didn't allow time for it and he eventually had to back down and try for a real no-confidence vote (which inevitably failed).

It's a stupid move, and it's a transparent attempt to try to get press.

Yes, this motion is in Boris Johnson (the PM) himself which has no consequences. The Lib Dems did this before shortly after Johnson became PM as they claimed Corbyn was propping up the Brexit government, it has no meaning then as well.

It's poorly timed and they should be working with the other opposition parties as to when a proper VONC should be tabled (if it even should be).

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well personally during the pandemic and certainly during periods of restrictions our work environments have been ones of social distancing, closed canteens and zoom meetings.  Not boozy chats at close quarters.  This is really no different than what the PM is accused of - in fact its worse as its inside and we have a photo.

You are right the optics are bad and if it wasn't for Boris I think this would be a lead story.

Then why wasn't it a lead story when the photos were first published?

It's in the evening so they ordered in some food and he had a beer, I don't think this is the silver bullet you think it is.

35 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well personally during the pandemic and certainly during periods of restrictions our work environments have been ones of social distancing, closed canteens and zoom meetings.  Not boozy chats at close quarters.  This is really no different than what the PM is accused of - in fact its worse as its inside and we have a photo.

You are right the optics are bad and if it wasn't for Boris I think this would be a lead story.

Boozy chats ? Boozy Kier ? I presume you have evidence for this apart from the one beer in his hand ? Do you work for the daily Mail ? 

13 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Then why wasn't it a lead story when the photos were first published?

It's in the evening so they ordered in some food and he had a beer, I don't think this is the silver bullet you think it is.

It was published in The Sun when it happened on the front page but no one cared because it wasn't against any rules due to it being a work meeting.

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It was published in The Sun when it happened on the front page but no one cared because it wasn't against any rules due to it being a work meeting.

Hence pretty much no outrage from anyone on here … And the first comment about it being completely ignored pages ago 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Hence pretty much no outrage from anyone on here … And the first comment about it being completely ignored pages ago 

Exactly, it's only being brought up now (3 times was it?) due to desperation to deflect things away from Johnson.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

"Last week I spoke to a former Downing Street official who said at least two people had told the PM, after seeing the emailed invitation from his principal private secretary, Martin Reynolds, that this was “a party” and should be immediately cancelled. I was told that Johnson’s dismissive response was to say they were “overreacting” and to praise Reynolds as “my loyal Labrador”.

Surprised more aren't reporting on this. If true then it's the final nail in the coffin surely?

12 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

"Last week I spoke to a former Downing Street official who said at least two people had told the PM, after seeing the emailed invitation from his principal private secretary, Martin Reynolds, that this was “a party” and should be immediately cancelled. I was told that Johnson’s dismissive response was to say they were “overreacting” and to praise Reynolds as “my loyal Labrador”.

Surprised more aren't reporting on this. If true then it's the final nail in the coffin surely?

I am too, maybe it's because it's come out on a Sunday?

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Hopefully! I’ll be trying my best to canvas for them, Westminster needs Scottish labour MPs 

D90C95C6-AF7A-44C5-A30D-54B34CEB0B3A.thumb.jpeg.9102aebba02078f12e4e6fd888d9afe5.jpeg

I could be wrong of course but 2017 labour won like 7 or whatever and got a few back in glasgow. Imo the best outcome would be Labour getting 315 ish seats and LDs getting 20 odd and leave the SNP powerless and maybe even get some proper change for once. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A thread on recent focus groups of Tory voters.

Some of these people prob will though. There is still an underbelly of people that don’t want to admit they would vote conservative. It’s not worth the hassle admitting it only to have people challenge you. Much easier to go with the “he’s not been great” angle.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Some of these people prob will though. There is still an underbelly of people that don’t want to admit they would vote conservative. It’s not worth the hassle admitting it only to have people challenge you. Much easier to go with the “he’s not been great” angle.

This is a focus group, no one will be 'hassling' them if they admit they would still vote Tory. I dare say the work of a focus group organisation will be more accurate than your comments.

Just now, Ozanne said:

This is a focus group, no one will be 'hassling' them if they admit they would still vote Tory. I dare say the work of a focus group organisation will be more accurate than your comments.

People still aren’t 100% truthful in focus groups I can tell you that. We’ve always had a problem with the silent Tory voters, or misleading Tory voters.

Quite a lot of them exist down south. Lower - Middle Class types that don’t really like the tories and will slag them off all day but when it comes to election time they grit their teeth and vote for them.

Tory apathy doesn’t hurt their voting record like labour apathy does. Unfortunately that’s just how things are in the UK.

Labour do well when they provide something better. Not when the tories do shit.