news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This might actually help Johnson with his backbench MPs, and maybe even with some of the public...

20220115_224358.jpg

I dunno, he seems pretty hated now. As hated as Corbyn was and generally those levels of dislike aren’t recovered from. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I dunno, he seems pretty hated now. As hated as Corbyn was and generally those levels of dislike aren’t recovered from. 

Yeah true, but may give MPs another reason not to ditch him....

Also Starmer everywhere tonight calling for Johnson to go might be another reason for MPs to get behind Johnson...and Johnson staying put might be good for labour in long run (or might not).

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah true, but may give MPs another reason not to ditch him....

Also Starmer everywhere tonight calling for Johnson to go might be another reason for MPs to get behind Johnson...and Johnson staying put might be good for labour in long run (or might not).

Starmer hasn’t really got any choice now, after all the revelations he HAS to call for Johnson to resign. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Starmer hasn’t really got any choice now, after all the revelations he HAS to call for Johnson to resign. 

Yeah, definitely. Johnson is damaged goods, I reckon he'll go at some point soon but he might want to resign of his own accord, say he got Brexit done and covid done....but then again with Johnson who knows. Hopefully the damage this is all doing to the Tory party and govt lasts...

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I still think he should call a Vote of No Confidence. Tories won't vote for a general election so will have to back Boris. Longer he's in charge I think the worse the Tories will do in next election.

Tories stayed in power for a long by changing leader whenever they get unpopular. A VONC backs them into an awkward position. Back your leader or have an election 

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I still think he should call a Vote of No Confidence. Tories won't vote for a general election so will have to back Boris. Longer he's in charge I think the worse the Tories will do in next election.

Tories stayed in power for a long by changing leader whenever they get unpopular. A VONC backs them into an awkward position. Back your leader or have an election 

I’m not sure on that yet as I think it’ll galvanise the Tories and potentially draw a line under it. However it could also tar the Tories by sticking with Johnson. I think it’s probably wise to wait, see what else comes out and then call the VONC after something else damaging is out.

The other aspect is that it doesn’t trigger a GE straight away. Under the FTPA there would be 2 weeks for someone to be able to command the confidence of the Commons, if no one can’t then an election is called. It would be too messy for the Tories as they’d either have to go into an election with Johnson or rush a leadership election. 

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not sure on that yet as I think it’ll galvanise the Tories and potentially draw a line under it. However it could also tar the Tories by sticking with Johnson. I think it’s probably wise to wait, see what else comes out and then call the VONC after something else damaging is out.

The other aspect is that it doesn’t trigger a GE straight away. Under the FTPA there would be 2 weeks for someone to be able to command the confidence of the Commons, if no one can’t then an election is called. It would be too messy for the Tories as they’d either have to go into an election with Johnson or rush a leadership election. 

That may be it for parties...if they're now just posting pictures of Carrie Johnson cuddling her friend they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel...and it's possible Gray's report won't tell us anything we don't already know. I reckon it's terminal for Johnson though, and not sure how much Sunak and Truss can turn it around...although I'm sure either would enjoy a bump in the polls...but as ever...who knows. Some other news story might come up that takes over everything...mass poverty or war with France or a lethal variant or a dead queen...

Tory press is full of abuse at the BBC today. Dorries is their hero for freezing the license fee and cutting their funding/stopping their ‘left-wing bias’.

They have moved on from Partygate and doing the usual culture war stuff - BBC today, immigrants tomorrow, young people in midweek, the poor on Friday.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Surely the person organising carries the most blame ?

I think the PM has questions to answer over the parties he attended but the concept others shouldn't be thrown to the wolves over this is for the birds 

It’s both isn’t it … If Boris had the knowledge they happened he’s equally culpable … it’s on his watch , and he’s the one (with others) setting the rules and telling us what they are umpteen times in the downing st briefing . 

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So is it likely to be after the report that we get the next leak … 

It really depends when the report is even going to come out, they've not said anything about it. 

I have a feeling we're gonna get something on Tuesday, before PMQs. 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

It really depends when the report is even going to come out, they've not said anything about it. 

I have a feeling we're gonna get something on Tuesday, before PMQs. 

Talk was of this week at one point although I guess it depends on how many parties are under investigation and if there was a cut off . 

If someone irresponsible or illegal happens under a business leaders watch they would be responsible for those actions and likely resign; it shouldn’t be different for the PM just because it’s Boris Johnson.

He had instigated this culture at No 10 and he should resign or be forced from his office as a result. Anyone saying different is trying to deflect blame to let him off the hook.