news & politics:discussion

zahidf

as a protest against govts new police and crime bill this afternoon I went to Ikea.

Listened to a few politics podcasts this morning and lots of stuff about Johnson's possible replacement...apparently feeling amongst many MPs is that it's too soon for Sunak, and Truss is a bit shit....but that if Johnson does resign then there could be some sort of pact between Hunt and Sunak to keep Truss out of the final two...

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Pisses me off this...

Would you wait a month to fix a broken leg ?   

Promises like this shows me we are a long way off treating mental illness like we should.

To be fair you can’t treat and overcome mental health issues immediately. Both medication and therapy take significant time to be effective. The broken leg comparison isn’t correct. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I think the point just went over your head...

This is about when you start treatment and not end it...

You should not have to wait a month to START treatment...   

That’s fair enough. I was just taking issue with the analogy.

I agree waiting times should be shorter but this will require enormous resources and investment to change. We need to move to more early intervention in mental health, as it will no doubt be more effective in the longer term when difficulties are more entrenched and complex. 

5 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I agree waiting times should be shorter but this will require enormous resources and investment to change. We need to move to more early intervention in mental health, as it will no doubt be more effective in the longer term when difficulties are more entrenched and complex. 

Waiting time for mental health treatment is awful, last time I was on the waiting list for a therapy it was about 6 months and that was 4 years ago. It’s going to be worse nowadays. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zero000 said:

1 month is better than 6 months or whatever it is now, isn't that the point? and as with many parts of the NHS, needs more staff...

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

1 month is better than 6 months or whatever it is now, isn't that the point? and as with many parts of the NHS, needs more staff...

Absolutely but I think the key will be in the detail. It may be a month for an an assessment rather than treatment, which is not the same thing.

I’m totally behind the message but I’m always a bit cynical about politicians claiming parity for mental health services, when there’s been chronic underinvestment for decades. 

7 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Absolutely but I think the key will be in the detail. It may be a month for an an assessment rather than treatment, which is not the same thing.

I’m totally behind the message but I’m always a bit cynical about politicians claiming parity for mental health services, when there’s been chronic underinvestment for decades. 

yeah, there's no easy fix...all very complicated in many ways....is mental health deteriotating? or are we just more inclined to get help now?...probably both I guess...but something needs to be done...

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Some of the policies announced by Labour today for healthcare seem pretty decent. Whilst a months waiting time for mental health is still too long, it is infinitely better than the 6 month plus wait we experience now. 

Im still wondering where these 7500 staff will magically appear from.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Agreed, the wait times just exaggerates the issue at a younger age. Ideally we would treat straight away but we have to build up to that I suppose. 

the demand is massive...so they have to priotitise. I know from experience that if it's urgent they really are on it and are brilliant...but if physical health not immediately at risk then you just have to wait. Also...postcode lottery and all that...and I don't think Manchester is as bad as other places. It is lack of staff to meed demand, pure and simple.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the demand is massive...so they have to priotitise. I know from experience that if it's urgent they really are on it and are brilliant...but if physical health not immediately at risk then you just have to wait. Also...postcode lottery and all that...and I don't think Manchester is as bad as other places. It is lack of staff to meed demand, pure and simple.

That’s fair and is probably partly the issue. For most (including mine) their mental health issues weren’t urgent so they were further down the queue but they were still important to the wait impacted the person. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s fair and is probably partly the issue. For most (including mine) their mental health issues weren’t urgent so they were further down the queue but they were still important to the wait impacted the person. 

yeah, definitely...not downplaying what you or anyone is going through...just how they prioritise. A kid has anxiety or ocd, she waits...a kid has anorexia or is self harming, she's at the front of the queue.

Edited by steviewevie

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, definitely...not downplaying what you or anyone is going through...just how they prioritise. A kid has anxiety or ocd, she waits...a kid has anorexia or is self harming, she's at the front of the queue.

I didn’t take it as you downplaying my experience mate, it’s probably accurate what you suggest. Mental health treatment has been underfunded for years which does definitely need to change.