news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

She present select facts and omit certain others to ensure Johnson is let off. That’s all this inquiry was designed to do. 

doesnt really matter though ... plenty saying there will be more damage in keeping Boris in his job .... its not worth getting pissed off about even if it happens ... 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean we don't know what she's going to do yet...

We have enough evidence from previous events to be able to predict what this latest inquiry will say. That report last night indicated as much. 

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...Sunak more popular with public, but Truss more popular with Tory members...

Will it be a straight fight between them though? Surely Gove, Hunt and Javid will get involved? Patel? The way MPs vote in the early stages can sometimes result in favourites being eliminated.

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Why haven't Labour called a vote of no confidence? Would force the Tories to either rally round the PM (& be tarred by association) or risk having a general election at a time they are incredibly unpopular. It seems like it's win/win for Labour if they do it.

won't it mean tories rallying round Johnson and then cant' have another one for 12 months or something?

14 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Why haven't Labour called a vote of no confidence? Would force the Tories to either rally round the PM (& be tarred by association) or risk having a general election at a time they are incredibly unpopular. It seems like it's win/win for Labour if they do it.

They apparently haven’t ruled it out. I’m guessing they think it’ll galvanise the Tories and draw a line under the issue. I reckon they’ll wait for more revelations. 

9 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

What's the point in wasting time on something that would never pass and give the government a chance to come together again. There's only been 2 or 3 in the past 32 years. 

When your enemy is making mistakes don't intervene, much better to let the conservatives be seen to rip themselves apart and stand on the sidelines as the competent government in waiting that doesn't get involved with such petty matters.

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What's the point in wasting time on something that would never pass and give the government a chance to come together again. There's only been 2 or 3 in the past 32 years. 

When your enemy is making mistakes don't intervene, much better to let the conservatives be seen to rip themselves apart and stand on the sidelines as the competent government in waiting that doesn't get involved with such petty matters.

yeah...this. I think labour just need to sit back and watch the shit show at moment, maybe every now and again reminding people about the shit show.

15 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Before calling one you need to be sure you have the numbers to win it. His MPs would most likely to support him, hypocritical as that sounds, as they don’t want an election or choose another leader.  

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

won't it mean tories rallying round Johnson and then cant' have another one for 12 months or something?

Nope you're getting your VONCs confused, there's no limit to the number of VONC parliament can have, the immunity for 12 months thing is to do with the archaic Tory party rules over the 1922 committee and the sending of letters.

45 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

As others have said it would galvanise support for the PM, the line of defense would be that Labour hadn't waited for the report and just wanted rid of Johnson for political reasons nothing to do with the actual evidence surrounding these parties.

I get it, we're all disgusted that this shower of shite have yet again proved that they are a disgrace but people seem more angry that they 'had another party' than they are with the fact that they have pretty much embezzled millions of pounds from the public purse.

Yes, I understand that they have broken the law & this may be the only way we can get rid of them (see; Al Capone tax evasion!)  

But fuck me I'm livid that they were all making money hand over fist whilst our NHS & Care givers were wearing bin liners in place if PPE because these bunch of self serving c**ts were all setting up companies to be given gov contracts to supply said PPE.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

I get it, we're all disgusted that this shower of shite have yet again proved that they are a disgrace but people seem more angry that they 'had another party' than they are with the fact that they have pretty much embezzled millions of pounds from the public purse.

Yes, I understand that they have broken the law & this may be the only way we can get rid of them (see; Al Capone tax evasion!)  

But fuck me I'm livid that they were all making money hand over fist whilst our NHS & Care givers were wearing bin liners in place if PPE because these bunch of self serving c**ts were all setting up companies to be given gov contracts to supply said PPE.

Well yeah, but the sad truth of the matter is a hell of a lot of people switch off when the talk of billion pound contracts, VIP lanes etc. come up because they can't relate.

It IS what we should all be pissed off about but for many, the whole party stuff is entirely relatable. "I wasn't allowed to go to Aunty Doreen's funeral but those bastards had a piss up like what I wanted".

It's ridiculous but whatever it is that ousts that c**t, I'll take it.

Screenshot_20220112-121040_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bd3e4db9f3444727042061b68b03b49b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Nope you're getting your VONCs confused, there's no limit to the number of VONC parliament can have, the immunity for 12 months thing is to do with the archaic Tory party rules over the 1922 committee and the sending of letters.

The Tory one isn’t actually archaic. They only put the 1 vote every 12 months in after Theresa May won her VONC 3 years ago. It was thought to be more disruptive having potential VONCs hanging over a leader so they changed the rules to give immunity for 1 year.

There are other ways for Tories to get rid of a leader though such as a certain number of local Tory parties passing their own votes of no confidence.