news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah true, that outcome won’t wash with anyone. 

If Sue Gray’s report doesn’t get rid of him, then the electorate will at the local elections in May. I think this is the plan anyway, given the difficulties coming from the energy cap being removed and NI going out in April. Keep Johnson in over this period to take the hit and then boot him out after the elections, so his successor can have a clean slate

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Doesn't sound like Johnson was at many of these parties...but he must have known they were happening.

I think thats the thing. If he wasn't at (some of) them surely he was in the emails and over heard people talking about the parties. So he then didn't try to stop them. If he's not being told then that means his whole cabinet is against him and was partying away without his knowing, which looks bad on him as a boss, let alone a Prime Minister who clearly can't run his own office, let alone a country. 

45 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

It’s like watching a heist movie. Where the main characters get backed into a seemingly impossible situation only to escape it by way of an elaborate plan/montage.

I've been thinking it's like a slightly rubbish tv show which keeps sucking you back in with crazy new revelations and cliffhangers. 

It's The Walking Dead essentially. 

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've been thinking it's like a slightly rubbish tv show which keeps sucking you back in with crazy new revelations and cliffhangers. 

It's The Walking Dead essentially. 

That’s not a bad comparison, TWD has thick as shit characters still doing stupid things years into a zombie outbreak and as it turns out that’s happens with our government in a pandemic. 

23 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

If Sue Gray’s report doesn’t get rid of him, then the electorate will at the local elections in May. I think this is the plan anyway, given the difficulties coming from the energy cap being removed and NI going out in April. Keep Johnson in over this period to take the hit and then boot him out after the elections, so his successor can have a clean slate

The problem with this approach for the Tories is that the councillors that will lose their seats are also usually the local activists who will be on the local committees and organise the local campaign at election time. They will be pressuring the sitting MPs to get rid of him before May if they think they’re cannon fodder in a wider Westminster plan.

I can't believe after all of this the Tories still haven't ousted Bojo.

It's utterly mind-boggling listening to any interview with a conservative MP at the moment.

If I hear the words "Boris has apoloigised for what the public perceives to have happened..." one more time my head is going to blow.

"Perceives" as if the nations intelligence is so low we can't actually f**king see what has actually happened!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

It's utterly mind-boggling listening to any interview with a conservative MP at the moment.

If I hear the words "Boris has apoloigised for what the public perceives to have happened..." one more time my head is going to blow.

"Perceives" as if the nations intelligence is so low we can't actually f**king see what has actually happened!

I guess many still see him as their brexit hero and an election winner...and don't see a better alternative. Can't see him hanging on for much longer, but then I keep thinking that..

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm sorry you're upset.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

A weird aspect of this is the deluge of convicted covid party hosts coming out on their high horse and crying foulplay as if they’re the victims in all of this.

The tories are bastards and they should be charged under the law, there should not be an amnesty for other people who were bastards.

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

A weird aspect of this is the deluge of convicted covid party hosts coming out on their high horse and crying foulplay as if they’re the victims in all of this.

The tories are bastards and they should be charged under the law, there should not be an amnesty for other people who were bastards.

I think the point is the Met were happy to go for people who were having parties at that time, calling them disrespectful etc., but turning a blind eye to stuff happening in downing st.

26 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

The problem with this approach for the Tories is that the councillors that will lose their seats are also usually the local activists who will be on the local committees and organise the local campaign at election time. They will be pressuring the sitting MPs to get rid of him before May if they think they’re cannon fodder in a wider Westminster plan.

Do the cabinet care about them though? They’re all out for themselves. Example in point being Rees-Mogg calling leader of the tories in Scotland lightweight on national tv.

Surely if they were concerned about this they would have got rid of him already? There still aren’t the required number of letters of no confidence submitted yet. I also think to be honest some of the councillors losing seats are baked in even if all this party stuff hadn’t happened given the squeeze on the populations finances coming in April. If people are poorer under the tories, why would they vote for them? Isn’t that the tories raison d’etre? Fuck everyone else as long as I’m alright financially.

19 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

True, but it's great that they're coming forward thinking they deserve exemption. They're essentially living, breathing examples of why the law has to apply to everyone.