news & politics:discussion

zahidf

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’d say more unlucky, he was loaned to the government in 2017 from Nottingham University and they want him back. 

Can't go into details but pretty certain that it'll be his call and rather than that of the University.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Fair play, I had just seen the brief story earlier. Do you think it’s a result of the party stories then?

Not a clue on his personal feelings - all I can say is that (from the University perspective) JVT has freedom to take his own decisions.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

In fairness it was always going to be announced soon …. I’d much prefer that other soon announcement first though !! 

It's a bit of a red herring anyway. Most people I know were still testing positive after seven.

31 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I have no idea who the SNP are or what they stand for beyond they want Scotland to be an independent country.

They seem to oppose everything but propose nothing.  The barnet formula gives them more than they should probably get while at the same time they tell lies like Scotland would have more if they went it alone (where have we heard that one).  Scotland seem to track poorly in every area Sturgeon has control of.  Education and Health for example.

I don't know - I think the Scottish population are no better than the English for being politically naive in the way they vote.  They seem to have on mass signed up to the mantra of its all Englands fault and lets give them a bloody nose and vote SNP...  while not really wanting the one thing the SNP have to sell them - independence.  And if they do want it, well hurry up and piss off as people south of the border aren't overly fond of how much you guys cost to maintain.  Lots of wising up has happened in that area over the years in the general population down here.

A very accurate summing up of the seperatists up here. And it shows their cynical ploy is working.  The snp in Westminster are there to  disrupt. They want to piss off  the English as much as possible, whilst ignoring the mess they are making of governing Scotland.  No matter how much money is thrown at them it’s never enough, they will want more. Because of the first past the post electoral system they are vastly over represented with the opposition to independence divided between the other three parties.  Remember they have never commanded an outright over 50% majority. There is still a slim majority in Scotland who don’t want anything to do with separation.  Don’t think they speak for all of us. 

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I was working for a bank back then and we was discussing who was an essential worker or not and the ones who went into the office where dealing with no meeting rooms being open / canteen shut / strict social distancing and when you left the office you was expected to go straight home.

What fucking fools we where I guess....

I prefer to think of it the other way … we were doing the right thing and he’s the fool .. nothing I’ve done is for the benefit of the govt ( although it’s an indirect consequence ) it’s for my health and the health of other people … That’s one reason for the anti vax people some can’t see past the govt control thing … same at my workplace for the break thing … totally spread out .. and I’d be taking most of my breaks outside 

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't know - I think the Scottish population are no better than the English for being politically naive in the way they vote.  They seem to have on mass signed up to the mantra of its all Englands fault and lets give them a bloody nose and vote SNP...  while not really wanting the one thing the SNP have to sell them - independence.  And if they do want it, well hurry up and piss off as people south of the border aren't overly fond of how much you guys cost to maintain.  Lots of wising up has happened in that area over the years in the general population down here.

The rise of the SNP before the referendum made a degree of sense, Scottish Labour where a bit useless at Holyrood, Labour's best and brightest wanted to be MPs so Labour MSPs weren't great and they had no incentive to do anything radically different from Labour in Westminster so the SNP come along and they take Holyrood seriously and they have some decent proposals so they start to do well in Holyrood under the pitch of let us have a go at this and we'll show you we could run a country. 

But then the referendum happened, the Scottish people are not impressed enough by the SNP to give them the independence they want but the referendum solidifies the political landscape like the Brexit one did across those lines, so former Labour voters are now angry with Labour for the "betrayal" of the referendum. You have a solid 40% of the electorate who will vote SNP no matter what and whose only complaint is not doing more for independence. It doesn't matter that everything the SNP talked about so brightly to begin with healthy, education, etc is doing so badly it's all worth it in the pursuit of the final goal. 

I don't know what the way out is.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We’ve all forgotten about David Cameron.  He totally fucked up politics in this country by allowing two referendums.  One on brexit to placate the rabid right wing of his party and another to placate the snp.  Both results have done untold damage to the country 

Yeah...he was really very shit. Gave us austerity which totally failed, and then the brexit referendum in which he led the campaign to remain and failed.