news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I wonder if Labour will do a VONC and use that to tie all the tory MPs to Boris and his party. Especially since there is definitely more stuff about to leak on this

The Govt will win a VONC vote , but they'd be tied to BJ and his lies about the lockdown parties on record.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So is there any chance the investigation will find anything ? And indirectly lead to his resignation ? How long is it going to last ? Or is it just going to be another whitewash enquiry ? 

Due next week, but if they find out about more parties or the MEt gets involved, could be longer

I imagine she will find there were parties which broke the rules. She will probably say she cant comment about if BJ was involved or not

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh this is a good news day

I'd sincerely like to see him have a day in court and face cross-examination, but I suspect this will be over pretty soon with a huge payout that comes with a water-tight NDA including the amount of money.

He'll then suggest that he settled to prevent the media sensation that a trial would cause, to save embarrassing his mum, and play it as an act of self-sacrifice, which the pro-royal in society will be convinced by.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So is there any chance the investigation will find anything ? And indirectly lead to his resignation ? How long is it going to last ? Or is it just going to be another whitewash enquiry ? 

I expect won't be a smoking gun that sinks Johnson, and I don't reckon MET will get involved. It will be a lessons need to be learnt exercise.

Also...I wonder if Starmer calling for Johnson to resign will make it more likely that Tory MPs get behind their dear leader.

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

He'll then suggest that he settled to prevent the media sensation that a trial would cause, to save embarrassing his mum, and play it as an act of self-sacrifice, which the pro-royal in society will be convinced by.

“Self-sacrifice”- when you and I will be paying for that settlement. 

I don’t disagree with you but it’s a fucking dreadful state of affairs.

The mans a walking argument for a republic.

Sure Spaffers relieved people have something else to talk about for a couple of hours though!

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect won't be a smoking gun that sinks Johnson, and I don't reckon MET will get involved. It will be a lessons need to be learnt exercise.

Also...I wonder if Starmer calling for Johnson to resign will make it more likely that Tory MPs get behind their dear leader.

Think it’s a bit late now … defend him too much now and that’s your career gone … mind you they seem to often move into well paid jobs after … 

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure which is best for Starmer....let a gravely wounded Boris carry on until the next general election or ramp it up to the extent he's culled by his own party. A new Tory PM could be a much more serious electoral proposition 🤔

19 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

“Self-sacrifice”- when you and I will be paying for that settlement. 

I don’t disagree with you but it’s a fucking dreadful state of affairs.

The mans a walking argument for a republic.

Sure Spaffers relieved people have something else to talk about for a couple of hours though!

I'm not sure we will be footing the bill. He's just sold a ski chalet for £17m. My guess is the settlement would run into the millions, as he'll have to pay big for the kind of NDA he needs.

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I'm not sure we will be footing the bill. He's just sold a ski chalet for £17m. My guess is the settlement would run into the millions, as he'll have to pay big for the kind of NDA he needs.

And who paid for the chalet? Unless it’s a gift from his old mucker Jeffrey, I suspect we are paying for it on one level or another.

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Assuming the plaintiff will accept an out of  court settlement 🤔 She may be wanting to make a huge statement on behalf of all women And I wouldn't try to dissuade her otherwise......

Exceptional performance by Starmer, he got every note correct with the right tone and had Johnson clearly rattled. Johnson had no answer. Starmer waiting till they had something on Johnson before calling for a resignation made those calls today much more impactful.

It was his best PMQs. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Exceptional performance by Starmer, he got every note correct with the right tone and had Johnson clearly rattled. Johnson had no answer. Starmer waiting till they had something on Johnson before calling for a resignation made those calls today much more impactful.

It was his best PMQs. 

I’ve seen a few comments to that effect from people who are not necessarily fans of Starmer. Will it cut through? Maybe? The panel on the politics show on BBC after PMQs - apart from the sole Tory - were livid.