news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

And the Queen has no interest in changing the news cycle at the moment….? Amiright?

Sounds legit. What better way to distract from the alleged behaviours of her progeny than by awarding a knighthood to a guy who stopped being the prime minister 15 years ago. 

It's moves like that that have kept Her Maj in the top job for all these years 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, crazyfool1 said:

..... hope people dont die as a consequence of a stretched nhs . 

they probably will, nursing staff just don't have time to do things properly /thoroughly when they're run off their feet. the wife reminded me the other day about how a ward didn't know why i was in hospital earlier this year, when they were very busy.

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sounds like a failure in the NHS that rather than anything covid related. 

a failure of management.

no guarantee there wouldn't be similar failures in a private healthcare system.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not a failure in the NHS it’s a failure of government and a result of 11 years of Tory rule. 

Dont forget it was a Labour government who did all the deals about leasing our buildings at an exorbitant price from newly formed companies. We are paying the cost still. (4 grand to put up 2 shelves etc) . And like every other renter when the lease is up we have bugger all to show for it.

18 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Dont forget it was a Labour government who did all the deals about leasing our buildings at an exorbitant price from newly formed companies. We are paying the cost still. (4 grand to put up 2 shelves etc) . And like every other renter when the lease is up we have bugger all to show for it.

a labour govt following capitalist orthodoxy.

there should be s different way of doing accounts for instances like vthis.

The pressure on NHS is unsustainable, and it isn't just this winter but over many recent winters we see this...NHS has suffered a decade of a squeeze on it's finances and it is showing...and Johnson knows this and it's why we're getting a hike in taxes to pay for it...unless some of those MPs in research groups but with no responsibility force him to u-turn on those new taxes.

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

All it would take for the tories to come back on top is Rishi and his hoodie + sliders combo.

Maybe tongue in cheek, but depressingly accurate.

As much fun as it was to see them take a kicking in the polls, the fact it was for throwing parties rather than, you know, everything else about them, was just shite. 

And then the swing back just a few weeks later. Who are these people? So bloody fickle. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

As much fun as it was to see them take a kicking in the polls, the fact it was for throwing parties rather than, you know, everything else about them, was just shite. 

And then the swing back just a few weeks later. Who are these people? So bloody fickle. 

it's the news init...but if predictions about cost of living crisis this spring are right then that could be tricky for sunak.

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Because the tories have a very strong base. So much so that a slight leadership change is all it takes to get people to snap back again. Maybe Boris not going into lockdown was a big vote winner too.

The problem is when Labour / Lib Dem fuck up. People leave for good. Always been this way. Tory voters just grit their teeth and vote them in silent when they get pissed off.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Because the tories have a very strong base. So much so that a slight leadership change is all it takes to get people to snap back again. Maybe Boris not going into lockdown was a big vote winner too.

The problem is when Labour / Lib Dem fuck up. People leave for good. Always been this way. Tory voters just grit their teeth and vote them in silent when they get pissed off.

I mean...you've got red wall voting tory for first time...are they permanent? time will tell. If tories keep getting damaged then I'm not so sure people are going to stick with them, people are going to want change, like they did in 97. I think tories losing a majority is definitely possible, the big problem for labour is scotland.

Don't underestimate how popular it was to not impose any restrictions around Christmas and new year despite the looming threat of them. It was an easy win for the Tories in terms of boosting their popularity back up, plenty of people were relieved and are probably are positively rewarding it.

I'd be curious to see how it plays out over the winter once things settle a little and the Christmas glow wears off.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...you've got red wall voting tory for first time...are they permanent? time will tell. If tories keep getting damaged then I'm not so sure people are going to stick with them, people are going to want change, like they did in 97. I think tories losing a majority is definitely possible, the big problem for labour is scotland.

I really feel like the people who flooded from labour due to Brexit are gone for good. More likely to vote for an even more right wing party than back to Labour.

It’s decent to see the gains in that poll are mainly from LDs and not Labour. Either way we are in for a very tough few weeks so it’ll be interesting to see what that does for polling. Headlines are hospitals being full aren’t going to help the government. 

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Don't underestimate how popular it was to not impose any restrictions around Christmas and new year despite the looming threat of them. It was an easy win for the Tories in terms of boosting their popularity back up, plenty of people were relieved and are probably are positively rewarding it.

I'd be curious to see how it plays out over the winter once things settle a little and the Christmas glow wears off.

also depends how shit things are over the next month or two...it won't just be the NHS struggling with loads of people not able to work.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s decent to see the gains in that poll are mainly from LDs and not Labour. Either way we are in for a very tough few weeks so it’ll be interesting to see what that does for polling. Headlines are hospitals being full aren’t going to help the government. 

Tbh I think the vote winner at the moment is saying sod it to covid. People don’t want to hear it anymore.