news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I agree they are properly up against it but I put a lot of the current Tory popularity down to Johnson, he’s a proven election winner and all the time he’s leader of the Tory party they’ll win as it seems not much will get the bulk of the public to turn on him. Which is what I was saying last night that this isn’t the same as Tory sleeve with John Major so we aren’t seeing the same effects yet.

However it just needs enough people to get sick of these types of stories and Tory MPs will decide they can’t tolerate Johnson anymore and kick him out. Or alternatively we are witnessing the start of some kind of coup by Gove and his people as the papers that had led with the stories this week are ones with links to Gove. 

You are completely right in your post, it is going to be very difficult but this could be the start of it. 

yeah, sure...I guess the more of this stuff that comes out...the more it sticks....and if people feel like their lives aren't improving after all the promises by the next election (or the one after that)....then maybe that will be time up for Johnson.

Then we'll get Priti Patel for PM.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Then we'll get Priti Patel for PM.

When that happens, I’ll consider getting on a dinghy to get out of this country. 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

only a complete prick would feel the need to downvote this post.

He must fancy him or something. There’s some kind of obsession going on.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Cracking stuff. 

This has, unsurprisingly, backfired and isn't cutting through.

I'm actually prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt this time and say it probably wasn't his idea, but those who are advising him need punted. 

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This has, unsurprisingly, backfired and isn't cutting through.

I'm actually prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt this time and say it probably wasn't his idea, but those who are advising him need punted. 

This is part of the problem (not having a go at you) that people say he’s dull and boring yet when he does something a bit different to poke a bit of fun he gets criticised. He’s damned either way. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

This is part of the problem (not having a go at you) that people say he’s dull and boring yet when he does something a bit different to poke a bit of fun he gets criticised. He’s damned either way. 

All good 😉

No, I agree, but this is why I make the point about his advisors. He's a competent guy, a good politician and when he plays to his strengths (like at PMQs this week), he's hugely impressive - but I think this kinda thing comes across as contrived and ultimately goes against him.

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

All good 😉

No, I agree, but this is why I make the point about his advisors. He's a competent guy, a good politician and when he plays to his strengths (like at PMQs this week), he's hugely impressive - but I think this kinda thing comes across as contrived and ultimately goes against him.

If I’m honest I don’t think it’ll really make any difference, it’s not going to win anyone over but it probably won’t do the opposite either as it’s hardly got any traction (that’s also another issue). It’s a fair point you make though about poor advice.

It popped me though when I saw it, the little scamp. 

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It popped me though when I saw it, the little scamp. 

I thought it was funny... in fact I took a screenshot of it and sent it to a couple of friends who I also thought would find it funny.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It's about portraying a character that's consistent. Yeah, this is funny and cheeky. Starmer is *not* funny and cheeky. I mean maybe he is in real life, but so far the Starmer we have seen has been all about being serious and level-headed in the wake of an unprecedented catastrophe that Johnson is bumbling and joking his way through. 

It's the same as Milliband's "Hell yes I'm tough enough". That's not him. Even with a complete personality makeover Milliband was never going to be more of a statesman than Cameron. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's about portraying a character that's consistent. Yeah, this is funny and cheeky. Starmer is *not* funny and cheeky. I mean maybe he is in real life, but so far the Starmer we have seen has been all about being serious and level-headed in the wake of an unprecedented catastrophe that Johnson is bumbling and joking his way through. 

It's the same as Milliband's "Hell yes I'm tough enough". That's not him. Even with a complete personality makeover Milliband was never going to be more of a statesman than Cameron. 

Correct. Authenticity matters.