news & politics:discussion

zahidf

39 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its the frustration of an apparently unresolvably dysfunctional westminster that makes me sympathise with those who want to leave the union but I also appreciate the arguments on the other side. Similar to the remainers - its better to stay and reform, avoid the cost and disruption of decoupling the well integrated economies and institutions, whilst working on fixing the issues from within.

I wonder how you’d go about fixing the issues for you @Ayrshire Chris- so Starmer becomes PM of a coalition including the SNP at the next GE on the condition of indyref2, during which the Scottish people vote to remain in the union. What next? Devomax? Or maybe less devolution? Proportional representation? Get rid of the nukes or keep them in Scotland?

Starmer needs to reclaim some seats up here and try and get a majority without such a coalition.   The snp have only one aim, all sorts of bribes to them won’t work.  Their main tactic is to disrupt and piss off the English as can be seen by their Westminster performances. I hope that in the event of another referendum policies and economic consequences take priority over their soundbites and empty rhetoric. Devolution was meant to prevent separation, the snp use it to try and break the union. So no to more of it. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Nah, just let them go as long as we can keep the blue bit in the union jack.

Yes, I agree, it’s a lovely design. But one point of order here. It’s only called the Union Jack when it flys from a naval vessel. Otherwise it’s true name is the union flag. The things I learnt in the Boys Brigade have never left me. 

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Hung Parliament territory baby. It would be quite something if the Tories completely lost their huge majority at the next election. 

That shows Labour on 241 seats fs and you’re happy with that?!

3 short of a majority and then they’d just rely on DUP again or whatever and be absolutely fine to continue doing what they’re doing 

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Starmer needs to reclaim some seats up here and try and get a majority without such a coalition.   The snp have only one aim, all sorts of bribes to them won’t work.  Their main tactic is to disrupt and piss off the English as can be seen by their Westminster performances. I hope that in the event of another referendum policies and economic consequences take priority over their soundbites and empty rhetoric. Devolution was meant to prevent separation, the snp use it to try and break the union. So no to more of it. 

Fair enough, but my point is rather than as an Englishman I feel like the westminster government is inefficient, unrepresentative, anti democratic and more recently plain corrupt. I don’t think you can blame it all on the tories either. The latest government is all of those things and then some, but to my mind those charges can just as well be levelled at New Labour. For me the issue then is rather with the system than the government.

So i am mainly wondering whether ’No’ers such as yourself agree that there are issues with westminster and have an appetite for reform or don’t agree and think it functions pretty well, but for the lack of a Labour government 

Edited by mattiloy

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Direction of travel fs.

It’s pretty obvious that if a government has an 80 seat majority then at the next election that majority is wiped out then that’s a good result for the opposition. It shouldn’t be hard for anyone that discusses these things in good faith to understand that.

It would be a disaster for Johnson to lose his majority at the next election. As you point out if this trend continues for even just little bit then we’ll have a Labour government of some form, it’s great!

Edited by Ozanne

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Direction of travel fs.

Just because the gap has been somewhat closed after Labours worst result in like 80 years, doesn’t mean it’s going to continue to close. 

The direction is hardly clear. I don’t think anyone would be that shocked if the tories got another majority at the next election despite having been governing for 14 years by that point. It’s pretty concerning that the best we can seem to expect is the tories to still get over 300 seats and be able to govern. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Dishy Rishy will be in charge soon and Labour will go back to being an irrelevance. 

Not sure if tories would be fools to bin Johnson or not...Rishy and his tax cuts might be bad news for levelling up, health/social care criris and net zero etc. Plus, not sure if Sunak or Truss would be able to get away with the amount of shit Johnson does, but then again maybe there would be less shit to need to get away with.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

He went smoking pot in California or some shit.  Its the smart move when you see Number 10 on fire and you quite fancy the keys.

My hopes are on Liz...  Oh my....  What a women!

come on is that the best fishing you can do after a 3 week absence ?