news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’d rather live in an economically secure U.K. than a bankrupt Scotland 

Without meaning to be rude, the question wasn’t directed at you, whose ayrshire bit means to me you are well entitled to having strong views in any direction you see fit.

Just always a bit baffled when english people are so horny for Scotland to remain part of the union. Or indeed for hating sturgeon. Feels like its probs not really our business.

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm against countries voting for something that isn't in their interest, like brexit,

Fair enough for the motivation, if thats your interpretation of things, but the strength of feeling seems somewhat stronger than it should.

For example, m if le pen wins the next france election and oversees a successful Frexit vote (i don’t even know if she is pro frexit, just assuming for the sake of the argument) would you be as vocal or interested about that?

Maybe you would, but i know many english people who are unionists and hate sturgeon wouldn’t be. And i think it is borne of a sense of imperialism, ownership, rather than any real sense of sympathy or fraternity with scottish folk.

15 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Without meaning to be rude, the question wasn’t directed at you, whose ayrshire bit means to me you are well entitled to having strong views in any direction you see fit.

Just always a bit baffled when english people are so horny for Scotland to remain part of the union. Or indeed for hating sturgeon. Feels like its probs not really our business.

Fair enough for the motivation, if thats your interpretation of things, but the strength of feeling seems somewhat stronger than it should.

For example, m if le pen wins the next france election and oversees a successful Frexit vote (i don’t even know if she is pro frexit, just assuming for the sake of the argument) would you be as vocal or interested about that?

Maybe you would, but i know many english people who are unionists and hate sturgeon wouldn’t be. And i think it is borne of a sense of imperialism, ownership, rather than any real sense of sympathy or fraternity with scottish folk.

I guess English people might want Scotland to stay because if they leave GB is more diminished and weaker.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess English people might want Scotland to stay because if they leave GB is more diminished and weaker.

If the argument is that Scotland is unable to go it alone because it is a fiscal black hole then surely the English taxpayer benefits from independence?

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to intrude. 

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of pro scottish independence even though I'm English...but if actually happened, and at moment I think more likely it won't, then I would probably end up quite sad about it. But...at same time I have always thought of myself as British rather than English...I don't know, feels a bit nasty racist morrisey c**t to be English...but recently that's changed, and maybe it's ok to say you're English, in a Southgate mutlicultural remainery wokey sort of way. So, yeah, fuck off Scotland. And Wales. And that shitty bit of Ireland.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm kind of pro scottish independence even though I'm English...but if actually happened, and at moment I think more likely it won't, then I would probably end up quite sad about it. But...at same time I have always thought of myself as British rather than English...I don't know, feels a bit nasty racist morrisey c**t to be English...but recently that's changed, and maybe it's ok to say you're English, in a Southgate mutlicultural remainery wokey sort of way. So, yeah, fuck off Scotland. And Wales. And that shitty bit of Ireland.

You have put your points over very succinctly and clearly. Obviously a seasoned political debater. Either that or you secretly fancy wee Nicola.  But what about Gibraltar and the Channel Islands? Surely they can fuck off as well.  😁😉

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

You have put your points over very succinctly and clearly. Obviously a seasoned political debater. Either that or you secretly fancy wee Nicola.  But what about Gibraltar and the Channel Islands? Surely they can fuck off as well.  😁😉

Yeah, and them.

And the Falklands.

Anywhere else I've missed?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Its the frustration of an apparently unresolvably dysfunctional westminster that makes me sympathise with those who want to leave the union but I also appreciate the arguments on the other side. Similar to the remainers - its better to stay and reform, avoid the cost and disruption of decoupling the well integrated economies and institutions, whilst working on fixing the issues from within.

I wonder how you’d go about fixing the issues for you @Ayrshire Chris- so Starmer becomes PM of a coalition including the SNP at the next GE on the condition of indyref2, during which the Scottish people vote to remain in the union. What next? Devomax? Or maybe less devolution? Proportional representation? Get rid of the nukes or keep them in Scotland?

37 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its the frustration of an apparently unresolvably dysfunctional westminster that makes me sympathise with those who want to leave the union but I also appreciate the arguments on the other side. Similar to the remainers - its better to stay and reform, avoid the cost and disruption of decoupling the well integrated economies and institutions, whilst working on fixing the issues from within.

I wonder how you’d go about fixing the issues for you @Ayrshire Chris- so Starmer becomes PM of a coalition including the SNP at the next GE on the condition of indyref2, during which the Scottish people vote to remain in the union. What next? Devomax? Or maybe less devolution? Proportional representation? Get rid of the nukes or keep them in Scotland?

Nah, just let them go as long as we can keep the blue bit in the union jack.