news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

The polls above seem to disprove that. Of course, polls are meaningless really - particularly when they go against your beliefs. 

Johnson and Sunak are still more popular than the highest Labour politician in the list (who isn't even an MP yet).

The YouGov poll shows Sunak popularity has fallen from his March budget and this budget is also less popular. Funny how you've linked it back to bashing Labour again when they weren't even mentioned. 

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

You’d have to say that theres probs some good reasons to care about all that climate stuff without having kids.

I’d say when 1mil people marched against the Iraq war, few of them would have had Iraqi relatives (or indeed military personnel relatives).

And it is the same. WHO estimates 150k/year deaths from climate change already. But even if you were completely unmotivated by empathy and argued that the cost of the Iraq war was borne by the taxpayer and therefore it directly effects you as a taxpayer- so does climate change, and will eventually cost more than the Iraq war during our lifetimes.

Thats before we even talk of the potential geopolitical storm and the supply side shocks and mass migration it may cause, in our lifetimes.

Besides which, even without kids you’ll have a very high degree of your genes passed on by others. Because as much as we are all a unique combination of genes, the individual genes are probs not that unique and exist in different combinations in many other folk. So even from an evolutionary perspective, it benefits you to look after the wellbeing of your fellow man

✌️ peace and love

Ran out of upvotes...but what he says. And it's not just about humans too, it's all the other species. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ran out of upvotes...but what he says. And it's not just about humans too, it's all the other species. 

I’ve done it for you you mate. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tories only ones going up! With our electoral system probably would mean greens still have only one MP.

Yeah sadly would, it’s a big reason why we need PR.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

with so much more money to spend pewr person, scotland is rolling in it, no austerity, where have the snp wasted all the money, there'll be mega austerity worse than anything which can be blamed on tories, if scotland votes for indy.

Free prescriptions for all, free personal care for all despite many easily having the ability to pay. They have a 19p tax band.  What that does however is lower the standard of care as social services have to depend on central government and council tax for all funding.  Mrs c is a carer and the pressure to get round so many cases per day is overwhelming.  Education standards have been dropping for decades. They have only one priority and that is to get another referendum without having to explain the economic realities of such a move. It’s convenient to blame everything on Westminster.  They enjoy power without responsibility relying on the Barnet formula to keep the cash flowing.  They complain about lack of funding etc yet have tax  raising powers but are scared to use them for fear of losing votes.   The Labour Party really needs to get its act together and reclaim their heartlands here. When campaigning on the doorsteps for them I find for many the heart rules the head.  The rhetoric and soundbites of the nationalists have more appeal that economic facts and figures. 

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The YouGov poll shows Sunak popularity has fallen from his March budget and this budget is also less popular. Funny how you've linked it back to bashing Labour again when they weren't even mentioned. 

Just tempering your eternal optimism with a dose of reality.

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Free prescriptions for all, free personal care for all despite many easily having the ability to pay. They have a 19p tax band.  What that does however is lower the standard of care as social services have to depend on central government and council tax for all funding.  Mrs c is a carer and the pressure to get round so many cases per day is overwhelming.  Education standards have been dropping for decades. They have only one priority and that is to get another referendum without having to explain the economic realities of such a move. It’s convenient to blame everything on Westminster.  They enjoy power without responsibility relying on the Barnet formula to keep the cash flowing.  They complain about lack of funding etc yet have tax  raising powers but are scared to use them for fear of losing votes.   The Labour Party really needs to get its act together and reclaim their heartlands here. When campaigning on the doorsteps for them I find for many the heart rules the head.  The rhetoric and soundbites of the nationalists have more appeal that economic facts and figures. 

vicious circle, many voters have given up on labour because tories always win (and labour kind of took their vote for granted), but voting snp just keeps tories in power. And the unionist side see voting tory as the only sure way of keeping Scotland as part of the UK.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Just tempering your eternal optimism with a dose of reality.

By ignoring the data I’ve showed you. I’m sure your lot will still have the largest amount of seats after the GE though so don’t worry. 

Edited by Ozanne

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

vicious circle, many voters have given up on labour because tories always win (and labour kind of took their vote for granted), but voting snp just keeps tories in power. And the unionist side see voting tory as the only sure way of keeping Scotland as part of the UK.

Yes, that’s what I find all the time. It’s an uphill struggle trying to bring folk back to labour. It’s all about an anti Tory vote rather than a vote based on policy.  I also hate the word  ‘unionist’ to describe anyone who is against independence.  That word has always been too closely associated with the Scottish Tories.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:32 PM, efcfanwirral said:

I personally don't care about the climate stuff as I'm never having kids, but our lives are going to change a lot, whether we agree with it or not. 

Mattiloy already covered everything else I'd want to say in response to this, but I'll just add that this is one of the most naive things I've ever read on this site.