news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Obviously I want this govt to fail always, but we really need this COP26 thing to be a success. This is where Bojo's famous international diplomacy skills are needed hoho.

Then after COP26 it's all about NI protocol and whether we're going to have a trade war with EU and maybe even a real war with France. Fun times.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Obviously I want this govt to fail always, but we really need this COP26 thing to be a success. This is where Bojo's famous international diplomacy skills are needed hoho.

Then after COP26 it's all about NI protocol and whether we're going to have a trade war with EU and maybe even a real war with France. Fun times.

I do get very concerned about how this climate stuff is going to work out. The only logical conclusion to the Tories being the ones to implement the heat pump idea is that the rich will be able heat their homes and the poor won't. I can't see beyond these promises around replacing boilers and banning gas boilers by a certain date just leading to stripping them out and not replacing them if you can't afford to top up whatever "grant" they give. 

and that makes me instantly distrustful of the rest of their future approach. I assume rich can fly poor can't, that's a given, but what is the other cost that only normal people will need to pay? 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I do get very concerned about how this climate stuff is going to work out. The only logical conclusion to the Tories being the ones to implement the heat pump idea is that the rich will be able heat their homes and the poor won't. I can't see beyond these promises around replacing boilers and banning gas boilers by a certain date just leading to stripping them out and not replacing them if you can't afford to top up whatever "grant" they give. 

and that makes me instantly distrustful of the rest of their future approach. I assume rich can fly poor can't, that's a given, but what is the other cost that only normal people will need to pay? 

You have an extremely pessimistic view of the future don’t you.

Flying has never been more cheap or accessible. That won’t change any time soon.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Flying has never been more cheap or accessible. That won’t change any time soon.

Interestingly this article comparing flight costs between Europe and America credits the EU open skies agreement with why air travel is so cheap. 

https://simpleflying.com/why-is-flying-in-europe-so-cheap/

Will be interesting to see if leaving the EU has any effect on flight prices in the long term.

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

Interestingly this article comparing flight costs between Europe and America credits the EU open skies agreement with why air travel is so cheap. 

https://simpleflying.com/why-is-flying-in-europe-so-cheap/

Will be interesting to see if leaving the EU has any effect on flight prices in the long term.

The age of cheap flights will surely have to come to an end over the next decade or so, unless they come up with an alternative fuel or some super carbon capture tech. Same with cheap meat.

Edited by steviewevie

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It seems that when more and more look into the detail of this budget, more seem to not like it and Sunak. 

things definitely look like could get worse for many people, tax rises, interest rate rises, inflation etc. Just don't know how many people or how much worse yet...and maybe before next election things will have improved and Sunak will be able to cut taxes as promised and they'll romp home to another win, but all very uncertain at moment.

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

things definitely look like could get worse for many people, tax rises, interest rate rises, inflation etc. Just don't know how many people or how much worse yet...and maybe before next election things will have improved and Sunak will be able to cut taxes as promised and they'll romp home to another win, but all very uncertain at moment.

Yet they’ve slashed taxes for banks, domestic flights and Prosecco; seems a very skewed priority set. That’s the aim though to cut taxes before the next election. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

not surprising really, how many take domestic flights here?

Business people, lots

they are used to Zoom and such so no more need for expensive flights, I mean ungreen credentials flights

Maybe make the tickets cheaper to invite them back. 

Edited by fred quimby

10 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Personal comments as always 

Articulated better by the below quotes. 

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The age of cheap flights will surely have to come to an end over the next decade or so, unless they come up with an alternative fuel or some super carbon capture tech. Same with cheap meat.

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yep they’ll have to make flying more expensive in the coming years to try to put more people off and/or limit how often people can fly in a year. 

I personally don't care about the climate stuff as I'm never having kids, but our lives are going to change a lot, whether we agree with it or not. 

I'm surprised that they didn't take the post covid opportunity to reduce flying, everyone had stopped anyway! 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I personally don't care about the climate stuff as I'm never having kids, but our lives are going to change a lot, whether we agree with it or not. 

I'm surprised that they didn't take the post covid opportunity to reduce flying, everyone had stopped anyway! 

It's difficult because of how many work in the travel related sectors, my brother in law does and the last hit has been a huge hit to their finances but equally much more does need to be done to cut emissions.

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I mean first of all that’s fucking mental. How can you say you don’t care cause you’re not having kids but then right after say our lives are going to change a lot? Makes no sense.

in the post I quoted  from you, your first sentence was ‘I do get very concerned about how this climate stuff is going to work out’

You’re all over the place with this.

Not everyone has stopped at all, in fact it’s quite clearly bouncing back as we speak. More and more people I know are going away abroad atm. Today I booked flights to Denmark and they were like 100 quid return. Nice and cheap, and even if they add a 20 percent tax on top then fine go for it, still doesn’t make it unaffordable.

Edited by fraybentos1

24 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

You’d have to say that theres probs some good reasons to care about all that climate stuff without having kids.

I’d say when 1mil people marched against the Iraq war, few of them would have had Iraqi relatives (or indeed military personnel relatives).

And it is the same. WHO estimates 150k/year deaths from climate change already. But even if you were completely unmotivated by empathy and argued that the cost of the Iraq war was borne by the taxpayer and therefore it directly effects you as a taxpayer- so does climate change, and will eventually cost more than the Iraq war during our lifetimes.

Thats before we even talk of the potential geopolitical storm and the supply side shocks and mass migration it may cause, in our lifetimes.

Besides which, even without kids you’ll have a very high degree of your genes passed on by others. Because as much as we are all a unique combination of genes, the individual genes are probs not that unique and exist in different combinations in many other folk. So even from an evolutionary perspective, it benefits you to look after the wellbeing of your fellow man

✌️ peace and love

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It seems that when more and more look into the detail of this budget, more seem to not like it and Sunak. 

The polls above seem to disprove that. Of course, polls are meaningless really - particularly when they go against your beliefs. 

Johnson and Sunak are still more popular than the highest Labour politician in the list (who isn't even an MP yet).