news & politics:discussion

zahidf

one of my colleagues at work was telling me how spoilt we were in this country to have the choice we do in terms of food etc .... which I kind of agree with .... but I also made the point that I didnt vote to have my choice restricted .... she said that was down to DVLA licensing  issues and that was why we dont have enough drivers in the uk .... people are so bloody blinkered when it  comes to Boris and politics  .... it also seems the c word is an excuse for all govt fuck ups  

6 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Quelle surprise 

Pre Brexit, London used to be the financial capital of the world. Being the Mayor of that city in that will have meant meeting a lot of people who will have vast investment portfolio’s. 

Keeping their profits tax free will have been a crucial factor when they were choosing who to back as PM. 

No wonder Spaffer has kept his job no matter how many times he’s fucked up. 

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

Tell that to William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith, the public currently trusts the Tory party more because the Tory party has connected more with voters over the last decade. I don't like it, but moaning that they have it easy is entirely unhelpful. Turning Labour policies into a compelling narrative that connects with voters is the answer, that isn't an easy thing to do but that has to be the aim.

Sitting back and bemoaning the public for not realising that the Tories are awful isn't going to fix anything. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Tell that to William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith, the public currently trusts the Tory party more because the Tory party has connected more with voters over the last decade. I don't like it, but moaning that they have it easy is entirely unhelpful. Turning Labour policies into a compelling narrative that connects with voters is the answer, that isn't an easy thing to do but that has to be the aim.

Sitting back and bemoaning the public for not realising that the Tories are awful isn't going to fix anything. 

I’m not bemoaning the public, I’m commenting on the system as a whole that allows the Tories to do whatever they want and get away with it.

IDS and William Hague were up against a strong government that only really made 1 big mistake in 11 years. It’s not really comparable compared to the easy ride the Tories get when they have made about 5 big mistakes in 18 months alone.

The Tories really do play politics on easy mode. 

I'll quite happily concede that I'm giving Starmer a hard time at the moment, certainly compared to Johnson. But that's because I genuinely care about the Labour Party and want them to do well. I hate this incarnation of the Tory party, it's the lowest I've ever seen them go, but I don't know what else I can say about that. Whereas with Starmer/Labour, I see a guy who I was happy to get elected to leader, perform so miserably. He's never going to be PM, so therefore he needs to go, sooner the better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'll quite happily concede that I'm giving Starmer a hard time at the moment, certainly compared to Johnson. But that's because I genuinely care about the Labour Party and want them to do well. I hate this incarnation of the Tory party, it's the lowest I've ever seen them go, but I don't know what else I can say about that. Whereas with Starmer/Labour, I see a guy who I was happy to get elected to leader, perform so miserably. He's never going to be PM, so therefore he needs to go, sooner the better.

and replaced by who?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

and replaced by who?

Burnham is the obvious choice, but given there's the potential banana skin around his not-being-an-MP status I'd also suggest;

• John McDonnell 
  • Angela Rayner
  • Yvette Cooper

If you want a rank outsider, who probably wouldn't go for it anyway, but I also think Stella Creasy has great potential.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not this again, we’ve been through this many times. This constant bickering about Labour leaders doesn’t help. No wonder the Tories do so well when the discussion always reverts back to ‘Labour suck’.

If he's not going to win the next GE then it's the discussion that needs to be had. No matter how uncomfortable it is.

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not bemoaning the public, I’m commenting on the system as a whole that allows the Tories to do whatever they want and get away with it.

IDS and William Hague were up against a strong government that only really made 1 big mistake in 11 years. It’s not really comparable compared to the easy ride the Tories get when they have made about 5 big mistakes in 18 months alone.

The Tories really do play politics on easy mode. 

The tories have the advantage of being in government and controlling the messaging, and Bojo knows how important this is from his time in the media. So, they'll just come out and say that the hgv driver shortage is necessary as businesses adjust and start paying more and providing better conditions for drivers, and the media puts this out before it is analysed...so they make it as almost part of the plan, a necessary pain before the promiseland. They will say we're going to level up, with out being specific what that actually entails, and that is the message that goes out. They say they will get brexit done, and people think it's done, except it isn't of course. He may be a twat, but Johnson is actually pretty bloody good at this politics thing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

The tories have the advantage of being in government and controlling the messaging, and Bojo knows how important this is from his time in the media. So, they'll just come out and say that the hgv driver shortage is necessary as businesses adjust and start paying more and providing better conditions for drivers, and the media puts this out before it is analysed...so they make it as almost part of the plan, a necessary pain before the promiseland. They will say we're going to level up, with out being specific what that actually entails, and that is the message that goes out. They say they will get brexit done, and people think it's done, except it isn't of course. He may be a twat, but Johnson is actually pretty bloody good at this politics thing.

Yes I know all those things I am currently living through them. I’ve stated many times that Johnson is an electoral winning machine it’s partly why it doesn’t really matter who the Labour leader is and why it’s so important to get rid of him.

The fact that they are getting away with those things perfectly outlines my point about them playing in easy mode. It happened when they were in opposition when they lied about saying the crash was due to Labour and the media allowed them too and it’s continued on.

In my view people should focus on everything they are doing all the time, constantly press it home and it might start to make a difference. Instead of somehow linking it back to Labour being crap.

16 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Burnham is the obvious choice, but given there's the potential banana skin around his not-being-an-MP status I'd also suggest;

• John McDonnell 
  • Angela Rayner
  • Yvette Cooper

If you want a rank outsider, who probably wouldn't go for it anyway, but I also think Stella Creasy has great potential.

McDonell will never be leader, not now. I wish he'd been leader instead of Corbyn, but maybe he isn't as cuddly. I like Rayner, but saying things like tories are scum are not going to win over the part of the electorate that labour need to have any chance of winning an election. Cooper is never going to be supported by the left. You need someone who can somehow appeal to all sides, and that person probably doesn't exist. Burnham is a good shout, and he obviously has ambitions to be leader, but does he have a trust issue? He was a Blairite, then a Brownite, then a Milibandite, then a champion of the north, and now considered by some as a saviour of the left...but maybe that is what you need to be to get to the top, tuned in etc...Johnson certainly does this.

Edited by steviewevie