news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not bothered about petrol, but no whatsapp/instgram/facebook?! What the fuck is everyone supposed to do?! (tgf twitter).

Couldn’t get on here for a while either! I thought Zuck might have bought Neil out! 

22 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

They kinda are though are they not? 1% point increase over the margin of error whereas it appears the Greens are hoovering up the soft-Tory vote from the last GE.

The greens are obviously not taking tory votes in big numbers. That makes no sense. What does make sense is Labour taking X amount from 2019 Tory and Lib Dem voters but also at the same time some of the 2019 Labour vote is going green. 

Does it really make any sense to you that tory voters are now voting green? Makes no sense 

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Does it really make any sense to you that tory voters are now voting green? Makes no sense 

Without knowing the demographics of the actual polls I’d guess it’s the older generation of Tory voters dying off and being replaced by a younger more environmentally conscious voter group. 

9 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

The greens are obviously not taking tory votes in big numbers. That makes no sense. What does make sense is Labour taking X amount from 2019 Tory and Lib Dem voters but also at the same time some of the 2019 Labour vote is going green. 

I think that's potentially an over simplistic way of looking at it. The Tory surge in the "red wall" wasn't people that suddenly decided the believed in trickle-down economics and privatisation on masse, it was all to do with brexit and the idea of "getting it done". Single-issue voting. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that, many of these single-issue voters now have other priorities now that, in their view, brexit is finally done.

44 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think that's potentially an over simplistic way of looking at it. The Tory surge in the "red wall" wasn't people that suddenly decided the believed in trickle-down economics and privatisation on masse, it was all to do with brexit and the idea of "getting it done". Single-issue voting. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that, many of these single-issue voters now have other priorities now that, in their view, brexit is finally done.

No sorry it’s your view that’s overly simplistic. You’ve seen the tory vote go down and the green one to Up by a similar amount and somehow are assuming these are the same people. Tory voters and green voters have nothing in common. People are moving tory to Labour and then people are straying from Labour to the more left wing Greens due to discontent with Starmer. 

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Hate to say it,  but Bojo looks like a man with a mission. a vision, whereas Starmer looks like someone who is trying to lead a divided party and all he has is some tools that no one remembers the name of.

That’s not the case at all, Johnson isn’t really saying anything at all. It’s all bluster with jokes aplenty. If Starmer had said this many jokes people would be in uproar that he’s not taking things seriously. Johnson isn’t really offering anything, there’s nothing tangible that he’s saying they will do for people.

Remember the Conservatives have been in power for 11 years, all the issues he’s outlining are caused by them. There’s no vision here just pretending that they haven’t been in power for the last decade. 

But how dare Starmer for talking about his Dad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s not the case at all, Johnson isn’t really saying anything at all. It’s all bluster with jokes aplenty. If Starmer had said this many jokes people would be in uproar that he’s not taking things seriously. Johnson isn’t really offering anything, there’s nothing tangible that he’s saying they will do for people.

Remember the Conservatives have been in power for 11 years, all the issues he’s outlining are caused by them. There’s no vision here just pretending that they haven’t been in power for the last decade. 

But how dare Starmer for talking about his Dad.

Yeah, but Johnson has managed to make it look like a new type of tory govt, different to previous ones. No detailed policies, he doesn't need to, but lots of optimism how things will be in his shiny new low immigration, high wage, low tax country with lots of green/tech jobs etc. Still going to be a rough winter, and still some tough times ahead, but he's very good at this shit. Maybe if things continue to go tits up his jokey boosterism will wear thin and people will want a more serious leader like Starmer, but I don't know...have to see how things are by next election.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, but Johnson has managed to make it look like a new type of tory govt, different to previous ones. No detailed policies, he doesn't need to, but lots of optimism how things will be in his shiny new low immigration, high wage, low tax country with lots of green/tech jobs etc. Still going to be a rough winter, and still some tough times ahead, but he's very good at this shit. Maybe if things continue to go tits up his jokey boosterism will wear thin and people will want a more serious leader like Starmer, but I don't know...have to see how things are by next election.

People wanted policies, Starmer/Labour outlined policies. Johnson just says vague rhetoric and apparently that’s better now? The goalposts get shifted all the time for Labour.

Johnson offered next to nothing in that speech and deserves to be called out for doing that in the exact same way Starmer would be.