news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Would that be enough? You'd need lib Dems too probably, and plaid. And surely any deal with SNP would probably have to include an independence referendum, which might complicate things a bit!

Yeah almost certainly, but I don't think any of those parties would refuse an olive branch from a Labour leader. Particularly one who's more palatable to centrist LDs than Corbyn ever was.

The indy ref will happen regardless, if Labour want Scotland to stay in the UK they need to meet it head-on and make a positive case for the union, a campaign distinct from the Tories. If they continue to bury their heads in the sand and treat modern voters with comptempt they'll remain out of power on both sides of the border for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

So now when a woman gets stopped by a policeman she can ask for id to check he isn't a flasher, rapist or murderer.

And if she doesn't trust them now the real police force are bus drivers who of course are beyond reproach themselves and get paid enough to be the super police 🙄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A couple of my fave liberal metropolitan elite podcasts that I listen to whilst running round the liberal metropolitan elite streets of Manchester. First has Clive Lewis on there talking about Labour, Starmer, PR, Burnham etc. The 2nd is NS podcast which has some interesting stuff about Starmer speech, saying heckling much worse than appeared on tv, people were clapping and doing standing ovations to drown out the hecklers rather than what starmer was saying, but that speech worked pretty well for clips you got in the news later on.

https://play.acast.com/s/ohgodwhatnow/brighton-rocked-with-guest-clive-lewis-mp

https://play.acast.com/s/newstatesman/waskeirstarmersbigspeechasuccess-

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It gives us a pretty decent idea of how his mind works. 

Again, it depends on the context.

In his speech Keir Starmer said this 'I had just picked up an award for work on the death penalty I’d been doing' . Pretty shocking until you read the bit beforehand.

13 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Again, it depends on the context.

In his speech Keir Starmer said this 'I had just picked up an award for work on the death penalty I’d been doing' . Pretty shocking until you read the bit beforehand.

Not really when you know the dearth penalty isn’t around these days. A PM saying those words about cancer deaths is awful. Tbh I didn’t think after posting that there’d would be anyone defending him. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not really when you know the dearth penalty isn’t around these days. A PM saying those words about cancer deaths is awful. Tbh I didn’t think after posting that there’d would be anyone defending him. 

There's plenty of people who would defend him which is why despite of everything this country has been through in the last year, the Tories would still win an election if it was held tomorrow.

I'm not really defending Boris. I just have a distrust of people posting snippets of interviews which may distort the true meaning of what what was said. It's very easy to do.

I guess I'll now have to sit through the entire interview now to see. Thanks for nothing 🙂

52 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, do they not want Starmer to talk to a Boris-loving audience? How can there be any cut through if he doesn’t?

*Plus he said he wouldn’t talk to The Scum during the leadership campaign, not now. 

Labour need to pull their heads out of their arses and stop thinking they some how represent the working people of this country, the many not the few, when they obviously don't because they never win elections.

22 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

There's plenty of people who would defend him which is why despite of everything this country has been through in the last year, the Tories would still win an election if it was held tomorrow.

I'm not really defending Boris. I just have a distrust of people posting snippets of interviews which may distort the true meaning of what what was said. It's very easy to do.

I guess I'll now have to sit through the entire interview now to see. Thanks for nothing 🙂

Ok, I couldn't find the interview online (it was a Northern Ireland local broadcast I think) but apparently the question was whether he could give an example of what he meant by the term 'Levelling Up' (presumably as regards Northern Ireland).