news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is my point though, the story of the Labour rules change doesn’t matter and impact anyone. Yet people seem to want to bash Labour over it but ignore the other issues with supply chain problems etc.

There are much bigger issues at play than Labour rule changes. 

yeah, no one cares....but they see it on the news and think, oh well, labour fighting with themselves, and tories getting stuff done, even if a lot of that stuff is shit, at least they're doing something.

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He's fucking shit.

maybe the tories will use that in their next election campaign. A big poster of Starmer with "He's fucking shit" under it.

Let's see how Starmer gets on at the conference and how plays with the media. If he makes a good speech and some of his ideas gets in the news and it manages to win over hesitant MPs and members, then will be seen as a success. If it's overshadowed by more infighting and gets loads of criticism etc, then it may be his last. I like Rayner. I have no idea if she'd be any good, but I like her. Burnham won't be leader any time soon, he isn't a MP for a start. He may well be leader one day though, he certainly wants the job. The only other options are Reeves or maybe Nandy. Give it to Rayner I reckon.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, no one cares....but they see it on the news and think, oh well, labour fighting with themselves, and tories getting stuff done, even if a lot of that stuff is shit, at least they're doing something.

They aren’t getting anything done and a lot of things are shit. The Tories really do play politics on easy mode. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

They aren’t getting anything done and a lot of things are shit. The Tories really do play politics on easy mode. 

Well, they've completely changed our economic model by taking us out of the EU and now they're going to raise a lot of money through tax for health and social (maybe) care. That is definitely something.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well, they've completely changed our economic model by taking us out of the EU and now they're going to raise a lot of money through tax for health and social (maybe) care. That is definitely something.

They’ve taken us out of our largest trading partner causing the country to become poorer with their citizens losing rights and social care won’t see a penny through these tax rises. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

They’ve taken us out of our largest trading partner causing the country to become poorer with their citizens losing rights and social care won’t see a penny through these tax rises. 

Brexit was a wet dream for people who romanticised days of rationing so it doesn’t surprise me that what’s going on isn’t unpopular. I spoke to my Brexit loving grandad the other day and he actually said that rationing did our country lots of good.

Brexit was voted in by the bootlickers so further bootlicking isn’t a problem for them.

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

The attempted rule changes do matter. They were trying to make it even harder for an actual left wing person to get elected leader. We should all thank the unions for telling them to get to fuck

I get that but in the grand scheme of the issues people are facing today how Labour elect their leader is hardly going to be high on peoples minds. It doesn’t really impact people like those things currently are. 

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So what’s the future of Brexit then? Relaxations on Visa rules for EU workers likely to be a growing thing. Is there going to be a growing rejoin campaign? Will it grow momentum? What do you think?

Can't see us rejoining any time soon, if ever. Maybe we'll gravitate closer over time. In the end our relationship with the rest of EU is determined by geography, part of Europe but slightly separated.

I'm guessing Corbyn will be getting a lot of media coverage as well. What with this and the rules fiasco, people will think Labour hasn't really changed much at all. If Starmer's speech is anything like his essay, it's likely to go down like a lead balloon.

A wasted opportunity imo.

14 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Exactly. This really highlights were the Labour leadership's priorities are and that they have no interest in engaging with the left of the party.

The media and everyone else are well within their right to condemn Starmer here even though there are much bigger issues afoot 

Sorry but I disagree. We have so many other issues that the Tories have caused which are pushing people towards poverty and lower living standards but let’s bash the Labour leader that wanted to change a few rules.

(not having a personal go at you here).

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry but I disagree. We have so many other issues that the Tories have caused which are pushing people towards poverty and lower living standards but let’s bash the Labour leader that wanted to change a few rules.

(not having a personal go at you here).

We have so many other issues that the Tories have caused which are pushing people towards poverty and lower living standards but the Labour leader decided that the priority was to change a few rules.

How about Labour do all their incessant infighting *after* they get into power?  Starmer will still need support from all wings of the party, but there'll be some actual proper leveridge to use against him.  With real consequences and everything, that affect actual change in the country.

Or, let's all join the Conservatives and conquer from within.

Nah, that's me just being facetious.  Let's just carry on with this shitshow of a government forever shall we?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We have so many other issues that the Tories have caused which are pushing people towards poverty and lower living standards but the Labour leader decided that the priority was to change a few rules.

... and prove that the Trade Unions still control the direction of the party which is a massive turn off for the voters Labour needs to get elected (although probably welcomed on here).

People are talking about whatever the media is saying. Right now the media is covering the Labour infighting instead of the real issue of the country falling apart due to poor governance. 

The media will always protect their interests which unfortunately for us means a Tory government. 

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Let's bash the labour leader when they deserve it and he deserves it right now.

Downing street is an absolute mess right now, Johnson just embarrassed himself on the world stage talking about Kermit the frog and instead of Starmer going for the juggler he has us all talking about Labour's internal leadership election.

People are not in the wrong for criticising him, Starmer is in the wrong first for wanting to change the leadership election process in the first place and secondly for attempting it when the Tories are so vulnerable.

Then don’t talk about it, it’s such a non-important aspect of life at the moment. I literally don’t care about how Labour elects their leader, they can do it however they want so focus on the actual important aspects and let Labour squabble however they want.

More people bash Starmer for doing something that’s pointless than bash Johnson for making peoples lives worse. 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Then don’t talk about it, it’s such a non-important aspect of life at the moment. I literally don’t care about how Labour elects their leader, they can do it however they want so focus on the actual important aspects and let Labour squabble however they want.

More people bash Starmer for doing something that’s pointless than bash Johnson for making peoples lives worse. 

But Starmer is the reason people and the media are talking about it. It's just very bad judgement on his part. If the purpose was to show him as a strong leader in control of his party, it backfired spectacularly.

14 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

No it is important and you should care. The attempted change was specifically designed to stop someone left of the party from getting elected by reducing the voting power of normal labour members

It’s not important compared to other things going on. But let’s be angry at the Labour leader instead of the Tory government for causing pain and misery to many. 

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I believe people have the mental capacity to be outraged and this blatant attempt to further ostracise the left wing of labour and simultaneously be outraged at the cluster fuck that is the Tory government.

That’s my point though, there hasn’t been as much outrage here recently at this government yet when a Labour leader does something there’s uproar. It’s been like this not just for Starmer and it’s so frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

That's because there will be few, if any, people on this forum who support this government. Everyone knows they are incompetent lying dickheads and they are used to them fucking up. 

Labour are suppose to be the opposition but they are so weak and pathetic that when the fuck up of course people on here will want to vent their frustrations more. Bullshit like what Starmer just tried to pull is what will keep them out of power. You and anyone else who tries to downplay it won't help either

I disagree. I feel that this type of infighting and constantly snipping at the leader plays a big part of what keeps the Tories in power. The Tories are very good at showing a unified front and if the public see a party that is constantly bashing their own leader then of course they’ll be less likely to vote for them.

Fight the Tories, not each other.