news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

In my job that's one of the big worries we have for the economy. It's kind of a perfect storm with furlough ending, utility bills rising, high inflation and cuts too UC. There are jobs available but with government support ending it's possible we could see a lot of business failures. 

and a rise in National Insurance payments...when does that kick in?

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isn't there a shortage of HGV drivers on the continent too?

Yes, but because of the single market a truck driver making a delivery in another member state and also do a pick up a delivery in that state before returning home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabotage#In_road_transport

So you can have lot of drivers doing 1 off delivery and drops, which is how the gaps were filled.

9 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Yes, but because of the single market a truck driver making a delivery in another member state and also do a pick up a delivery in that state before returning home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabotage#In_road_transport

So you can have lot of drivers doing 1 off delivery and drops, which is how the gaps were filled.

cabotage. Well there's a new one.

maybe...just maybe...as was shown with his panicky reshuffle after Hartlepool...Starmer and his team are pretty bloody shit at party management. From what I'm reading on twatter the unions are not impressed at all, and he was hoping to win them over with this electoral rule change thing but looking like it's backfiring badly. I don't know, could be end of days for starmer...which is really fuckin disappointing considering tories might be there for the taking if things continue to go pear shaped. Johnson is a lucky politician, no doubt about it (but at same time it isn't all luck).

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

cabotage. Well there's a new one.

Yes it was new to me. But basically a Spanish driver used to be able to travel to the UK drop in say London, do a pickup in Rugby drop off in Glasgow then go to Grimsby and pick up a load to go back to Spain with.

Now they can't do that extra job in the UK, and the trade back has dropped off due to the new barriers, so it would be an empty load back unless they can get a job in France.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that some people seem more happy to bash the Labour leader for pretty pointless rule changes instead of bash the Tory government for very real failings of government. 

Yeah, but why try and do this now, when this conference is seen as his big chance to show what his version of labour is for, but instead he has pissed off a lot of people and now this is what everyone is talking about. It's bad politics.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, but why try and do this now, when this conference is seen as his big chance to show what his version of labour is for, but instead he has pissed off a lot of people and now this is what everyone is talking about. It's bad politics.

He tried to do it at Conference because that’s when rule changes get voted on. 

This is why the Tories get away with everything, they can cock things up like they are but some will be more willing to skate Labour leaders over things that have no impact on their lives. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He tried to do it at Conference because that’s when rule changes get voted on. 

This is why the Tories get away with everything, they can cock things up like they are but some will be more willing to skate Labour leaders over things that have no impact on their lives. 

well, the tories could be there for the taking if labour could just look united and competent.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that some people seem more happy to bash the Labour leader for pretty pointless rule changes instead of bash the Tory government for very real failings of government. 

An age old labour failing of in fighting rather than focus on the real enemy. Up here the snp have taken the core labour vote. 40 seats lost than could make a tremendous difference to the chance of a labour majority in Westminster. They need to win them back.  

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

An age old labour failing of in fighting rather than focus on the real enemy. Up here the snp have taken the core labour vote. 40 seats lost than could make a tremendous difference to the chance of a labour majority in Westminster. They need to win them back.  

yeah, big ask that. Scotland has become all about independence, if you want independence vote SNP, if you don't vote tory. Labour don't get a look in.

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is what mattiloy has been saying tbf. Starmer is getting bad advice.

He was supposed to be Corbyn in a suit. Just as committed to transforming society, but good at politics.

Turns out, he's rubbish at politics and just as right wing as the Corbynites warned us.

He's fucking shit.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

just wait till the panic buying of food starts, then the shit will really hit the fan, theres nothing quite like a food riot

There’s already rumours of no mince pies for Christmas. If that happens there will be riots. They’re the only thing Christmas is good for. 

Quick edit. This reporter has been waiting a lifetime for this story. Well played BBC. 

052CEFCC-C042-4D6A-B733-7E07EC281244.jpeg.ca57ea48c2bf44d9815e52815ec8ffe7.jpeg

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

well, the tories could be there for the taking if labour could just look united and competent.

This is my point though, the story of the Labour rules change doesn’t matter and impact anyone. Yet people seem to want to bash Labour over it but ignore the other issues with supply chain problems etc.

There are much bigger issues at play than Labour rule changes.