news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Any sort of panic buying pisses me off.

Starts with me cursing all those queuing.

Moves on to me trying to remember (in this case) how much fuel we’ve got in our cars.

I then go on to contemplate what plans I have over the next few days and if we can ride the crazyness out with what we have whilst mocking those queuing.

Ends with me getting the fear and joining the masses in the arse end of nowhere because I’ve seen a Karen on Facebook post that said petrol station has still got some unleaded left. All the while I’m crying in to my steering wheel wondering what the fuck is going on.

If it isn’t petrol it’s sodding toilet rolls. Remember toilet roll gate of 2020? I mocked, followed the above cycle and ended up on the phone to my father in law in Asda because they’d just had a delivery of own brand so said I’d stand guard until he got there. My mother in law ended up with 86 rolls of Andrex ffs. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Any sort of panic buying pisses me off.

Starts with me cursing all those queuing.

Moves on to me trying to remember (in this case) how much fuel we’ve got in our cars.

I then go on to contemplate what plans I have over the next few days and if we can ride the crazyness out with what we have whilst mocking those queuing.

Ends with me getting the fear and joining the masses in the arse end of nowhere because I’ve seen a Karen on Facebook post that said petrol station has still got some unleaded left. All the while I’m crying in to my steering wheel wondering what the fuck is going on.

If it isn’t petrol it’s sodding toilet rolls. Remember toilet roll gate of 2020? I mocked, followed the above cycle and ended up on the phone to my father in law in Asda because they’d just had a delivery of own brand so said I’d stand guard until he got there. My mother in law ended up with 86 rolls of Andrex ffs. 

Yea I am the same really. Worse for Mrs Q as she is a carer so has to drive to get to peoples places

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Probably not ideal for everyone but this would be a great time to have another lockdown. Get all those who can working from home again and keep the fuel stocks available for those who need to make essential journeys. 

Or a three day week?

Interesting times anyway. If I were extinction rebellion i’d go all in on the mischief about now, slow down the supply lines even more, see how close to the brink they can nudge things.

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah that will get people on side!

Utter bunch of numpties, all mad poshos who fly 4 times a year.

I don’t have an opinion on them really, just saying that if there was a time to do this kinda shit it should be now when everythings already feeling a bit fragile. Who knows it could be a catalyst for a wave of unrest.

26 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah that will get people on side!

Utter bunch of numpties, all mad poshos who fly 4 times a year.

sometimes direct action is the thing that works best .... unfortunately this might impact on other peoples lives ...... not sure about the second bit ? any evidence of that ? 

49 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

sometimes direct action is the thing that works best .... unfortunately this might impact on other peoples lives ...... not sure about the second bit ? any evidence of that ? 

16 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Is that a quote from the daily mail.

I do wonder what they can do, as a lot of people get irked by them. Not sure there is really.

Not too long ago they were stopping commuters on the London Underground which is incredibly dumb cause they were average joes using public transport which is a pretty green way to travel.

Now they are blocking roads which only serves to piss people off. Why don't they chain themselves to a private jet or something not disrupt average joes' commutes. It's like they're goal is to be seen as a fringe organisation of freaks and not be in the mainstream

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So Johnson is essentially admitting that Brexit is causing the issues and is now U-turning on one of his staple policies. He's such a joke.

Thing is, this U-Turn won't come close to undoing the damage done by Brexit and he'll use that to twist things and say "see, Brexit wasn't the problem". And people will believe him.

It won't help in the short term, and while in the medium term this change should get a few people in roles where they're needed, long term it'll cause new problems - previously many of the people taking these roles would have been looking to make a life in this country, so they'd rent a place here, bring their family, spend money in local shops, and more often than not end up being of benefit to Britain. In this situation, with the rules as they now are, it's going to create much more of a mercenary environment with much of the wages leaving the country instantly and near entirely as the people know they're not allowed to have a long term future (at least not easily) - so it'll actually create at least part of what the pro-Brexit crowd were falsely whining about to start with.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Thing is, this U-Turn won't come close to undoing the damage done by Brexit and he'll use that to twist things and say "see, Brexit wasn't the problem". And people will believe him.

It won't help in the short term, and while in the medium term this change should get a few people in roles where they're needed, long term it'll cause new problems - previously many of the people taking these roles would have been looking to make a life in this country, so they'd rent a place here, bring their family, spend money in local shops, and more often than not end up being of benefit to Britain. In this situation, with the rules as they now are, it's going to create much more of a mercenary environment with much of the wages leaving the country instantly and near entirely as the people know they're not allowed to have a long term future (at least not easily) - so it'll actually create at least part of what the pro-Brexit crowd were falsely whining about to start with.

Exactly. It won't help now as it's not exactly likely people will suddenly be able to come and drive lorries here over night. But Johnson doesn't care about that, he only cares about the illusion that he's doing something to fix the issue when the reality is he isn't.

13 minutes ago, incident said:

isn't there a shortage of HGV drivers on the continent too?

How did this suddenly happen? Is it just a demand/supply thing as stuff starts to open up again after the pandemic?

In other news I went to Trafford centre this afternoon and there are loads of closed down shops (and hardly anyone wearing masks, but I guess that bit belongs in a different thread).

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How many million are still on furlough ? 2 ? Where are they all going to go ? Those jobs going to reappear ? 

In my job that's one of the big worries we have for the economy. It's kind of a perfect storm with furlough ending, utility bills rising, high inflation and cuts too UC. There are jobs available but with government support ending it's possible we could see a lot of business failures. 

Edited by Ozanne

Just now, Ozanne said:

In my job that's one of the big worries we have for the economy. It's kind of a perfect storm with furlough ending, utility bills rising, high inflation and cuts too UC. There are jobs available but with government support ending it;'s possible we could see a lot of business failures. 

100%. It’s going to be a rocky road for the UK economy for a while…