news & politics:discussion

zahidf

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Blimey. I guess what main stream press say does matter, they were mostly all critical, right?

Pretty much. It was a political gamble by Johnson which so far appears to be backfiring, and this also looks like voters aren’t happy with the triple lock being broken either. We also have UC being cut as well, it could be a very difficult few weeks for him now. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Pretty much. It was a political gamble by Johnson which so far appears to be backfiring, and this also looks like voters aren’t happy with the triple lock being broken either. We also have UC being cut as well, it could be a very difficult few weeks for him now. 

He’s not adverse to a u-turn though, is he? 😆

I think one of the reasons that people don't seem to oppose the NI rise is they don't understand how it will affect them. Someone - either Labour, or a sympathetic paper - needs to spell out the impact in a way that people understand.

For example, the 1.25% increase looks like this:

image.png.49f8097f223f09a6591f913cf20661bc.png

And next April when people see their wage packets decrease, they'll know for sure.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think one of the reasons that people don't seem to oppose the NI rise is they don't understand how it will affect them. Someone - either Labour, or a sympathetic paper - needs to spell out the impact in a way that people understand.

For example, the 1.25% increase looks like this:

image.png.49f8097f223f09a6591f913cf20661bc.png

And next April when people see their wage packets decrease, they'll know for sure.

err...have you seen the polls?

40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Two things are going to happen now. 

Either massive U-Turns on everything or a massive distraction story will take over the news headlines for the next week or so

I can definitely see a u-turn happening on the universal credit thing, but we shall see. Maybe it's good to get all the bad stuff out of the way now, still a few years away from an election.

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Interesting timing. Why has this story been brought up again now. 

Lens got a book out.

That Starmer is a slithery 🐍 is not news though, this was known to be the case at the time. Bit of extra lighter fluid to keep things ticking over until conference anyway. Unless they vet the audience, I reckon the fat controller will get booed off during his speech.