news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I met a fella who was a sgt major in the scots dragoons who told me about this about 10 years ago. Apparently its been a thing since she had some health scare a good while before that even. Back then they had all their dress uniforms n that in storage in germany (this was before they left germany), they got remeasured annually so they’d be ready to rock as soon as she croaks.

Something you’d never think about just the logistics of it. Quite interesting really. Imagine the fucking hullaballoo for weeks. It would be ideal if it happened at glastonbury so we were at least a bit insulated from the mess of it and the non stop media frenzy 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

I met a fella who was a sgt major in the scots dragoons who told me about this about 10 years ago. Apparently its been a thing since she had some health scare a good while before that even. Back then they had all their dress uniforms n that in storage in germany (this was before they left germany), they got remeasured annually so they’d be ready to rock as soon as she croaks.

Something you’d never think about just the logistics of it. Quite interesting really. Imagine the fucking hullaballoo for weeks. It would be ideal if it happened at glastonbury so we were at least a bit insulated from the mess of it and the non stop media frenzy 

Would Glastonbury go ahead if it was in the 10 day period between death and funeral? I recall reading it’s a period of national mourning where sporting events etc are postponed 

10 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

Would Glastonbury go ahead if it was in the 10 day period between death and funeral? I recall reading it’s a period of national mourning where sporting events etc are postponed 

Unless that scenario is covered by insurance, I don’t know how it couldn’t go ahead? Would be financially ruinous otherwise… Unlike football matches you can’t shift major festivals dates at such short notice.

You just know the right wing press would have a field day with it though 😐 And the BBC coverage might look very different.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

many in the cabinet and backbenches are against it too. I can see a u-turn happening.

Maybe, then again they might just press ahead and try to push it through. It's an interesting time with this and everything else going on for Johnson.

Edited by Ozanne

On 9/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, mattiloy said:

Looking forward to handbags at dawn at the Labour conference! 

CFAB2E3D-948D-4541-99CD-15040CC02982.jpeg

God, I despair at the Labour party sometimes. This is likely to dominate much of conference week. They'll be more press in the fringe meetings than in the main hall itself.

My local newspaper posted on Facebook (I know…) about whether the UK should trial a four-day working week and the amount of vitriol in the comments was incredible - loads like ‘this is lefty nonsense’ along with the more reasonable points about it not working in every industry etc. What is it with the public wanting to make their own lives more miserable?

18 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My local newspaper posted on Facebook (I know…) about whether the UK should trial a four-day working week and the amount of vitriol in the comments was incredible - loads like ‘this is lefty nonsense’ along with the more reasonable points about it not working in every industry etc. What is it with the public wanting to make their own lives more miserable?

Can imagine a few things being at play here. Some people just can't see beyond the status quo, can't imagine that things could be different. It's always been 5 days a week (I know, it hasn't but you know what I mean) so it always should be. Probably also some who realise they'd have nothing to fill the time with if they weren't at work.

Jealousy too. "I had to spend the last 30 years working 5 days a week, why should the next lot get away with doing less?" Even though they'd benefit too they don't like the idea that someone else will benefit more

And some people are just miserable sods who like calling anything they don't like or understand 'lefty nonsense'

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Isn't it mainly retired people wanting to make sure the younger generation suffer like they did? Same as the obsession with returning to the office.