news & politics:discussion

zahidf

51 minutes ago, mcshed said:

As I barrel towards 40 I always worry this is what I look like when I go on nights out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/29/merry-michael-gove-seen-dancing-alone-in-aberdeen-nightclub

You can always console yourself that you'll never look like (or, for that matter, be) Michael Gove

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

As I barrel towards 40 I always worry this is what I look like when I go on nights out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/29/merry-michael-gove-seen-dancing-alone-in-aberdeen-nightclub

I always thought those weirdos who went on about "lizard people" were off their heads - until I saw Michael Gove! 😄

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

Its so so strange that the conspiracist in me immediately starts to think its deliberate - if he’s tried to go viral there to out buffoon Boris in a fresh bid to oust him…

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Its so so strange that the conspiracist in me immediately starts to think its deliberate - if he’s tried to go viral there to out buffoon Boris in a fresh bid to oust him…

definitely something going on with Gove. Hardly see or hear from him anymore, maybe he's just doing stuff behind the scenes and keeping away from the media? I wonder how long he'll stay in politics.

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I just think he's going through a messy divorce and this sort of mid-life crisis behaviour seems entirely understandable even if it is terribly embarrassing.

11 hours ago, mcshed said:

I just think he's going through a messy divorce and this sort of mid-life crisis behaviour seems entirely understandable even if it is terribly embarrassing.

Fun whilst it lasts though! Reminded me of this:

Maybe it needs more context for those who never watched the film, but basically the dancing fella is a big stiff accountant. Wouldn’t normally be boogieing to darude like that. Bit like auld Gove like

Edited by mattiloy

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

definitely something going on with Gove. Hardly see or hear from him anymore, maybe he's just doing stuff behind the scenes and keeping away from the media? I wonder how long he'll stay in politics.

Suspect a combination of substance misuse issues (allegedly) and splitting from his wife after cheating on her (allegedly). There was speculation that the Media have been shielding him (they knew about the affair and split for ages) because he’s a mate of murdoch (why the Times and sun didn’t run with it) and his wife is a Mail columnist, and the Telegraph are fans of his. Nice healthy democracy we live in with a nice healthy press system.

Excellent scenes in Scotland with the Greens entering Government 👏

Tories now the only party in Holyrood who have never been in power.

Belated and baby steps but I’m liking the direction of travel.

Patrick Harvie also has tenants rights as part of his ministerial responsibility. 

13 hours ago, mcshed said:

Seems about right. Apparently he was in the boozer downstairs and was talked in to going up for a dance and another drink.

We’ve all been there 😂🥳

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Excellent scenes in Scotland with the Greens entering Government 👏

Tories now the only party in Holyrood who have never been in power.

Belated and baby steps but I’m liking the direction of travel.

Patrick Harvie also has tenants rights as part of his ministerial responsibility. 

Nothing good about the greens entering government imo.

another 5 years of ‘we will deliver an Indy ref’ while never actually doing so and then suddenly it’s 2026 and the campaign is run on the same grounds as 2016 and 2021 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nothing good about the greens entering government imo.

another 5 years of ‘we will deliver an Indy ref’ while never actually doing so and then suddenly it’s 2026 and the campaign is run on the same grounds as 2016 and 2021 

Time will tell but I’m imagining the Greens  have other priorities although they also think they’d be better out with our political union with the Tories.

If they didn’t, they could have just joined the SNP.

Surely you see some good in having Green Party folks in Government ? They have already won concessions in the past from the SNP for supporting their budget.

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Time will tell but I’m imagining the Greens  have other priorities although they also think they’d be better out with our political union with the Tories.

Surely you see some good in having Green Party folks in Government ? They have already won concessions in the past from the SNP for supporting their budget.

Yeah, sounds a positive move to me too. 

9 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Getting free bus travel for under 22s whilst still voting to massively cut local authority budgets isn’t progressive and it isn’t good 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Looks to me like they’ve compressed august into a half size square on the graph to make it look like the gradient is sharper, when in fact it seems not to different to the trend since the start of the year, and consistent with business as usual for this point in an election cycle.