news & politics:discussion

zahidf

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I do have some sympathy for him as he has served and this can’t be an easy decision. However he is still part of a government that is withdrawing troops and played their part in this crises so my sympathy doesn’t go a huge distance. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I do have some sympathy for him as he has served and this can’t be an easy decision. However he is still part of a government that is withdrawing troops and played their part in this crises so my sympathy doesn’t go a huge distance. 

I mean, this is a US decision. Let's not kid ourselves.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, this is a US decision. Let's not kid ourselves.

Oh yeah but the UK has been heavily involved and questions need to be asked about what's happened on both sides. Interesting several Tory MPs are pretty angry about this as well.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah but the UK has been heavily involved and questions need to be asked about what's happened on both sides. Interesting several Tory MPs are pretty angry about this as well.

What's happened is that we've spent 20 years helping to build an Afghan army who appear to have rolled over at the first sign of trouble. The Taliban were always going to fill the vacuum when we left (although no-one could have predicted how fast). Once the USA decided to pull out, the UK's hands were tied.

The video footage on the news channels is heartbreaking.

17 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

What's happened is that we've spent 20 years helping to build an Afghan army who appear to have rolled over at the first sign of trouble. The Taliban were always going to fill the vacuum when we left (although no-one could have predicted how fast). Once the USA decided to pull out, the UK's hands were tied.

The video footage on the news channels is heartbreaking.

You might be slightly unfair on the Afghan Army.

For sure this is a decision the US has made and it would be very difficult for us to stay however the Prime Minister himself said we would be staying in some form or another. On 5th July in the HoC he said the UK was “not walking away...we are keeping our embassy in Kabul....to try to ensure that the Taliban understand that there can be no military path to victory". He predicted (or commented) that there its no military path to victory for the Taliban, they retook the capital Kabul in a day. He was disastrously wrong, this is a guy we have leading the troops.

54 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You might be slightly unfair on the Afghan Army.

For sure this is a decision the US has made and it would be very difficult for us to stay however the Prime Minister himself said we would be staying in some form or another. On 5th July in the HoC he said the UK was “not walking away...we are keeping our embassy in Kabul....to try to ensure that the Taliban understand that there can be no military path to victory". He predicted (or commented) that there its no military path to victory for the Taliban, they retook the capital Kabul in a day. He was disastrously wrong, this is a guy we have leading the troops.

I don't think many people expected the Taliban to take power so quickly. What a mess. Can point the finger at all the US presidents and other western leaders on all this, but most of the shit is going to be aimed at Biden.