news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Found a copy of 2019 free press (thursdays) with an interview with Jess Phillips no less.

Noticed ’When I last came, which wasn’t this millenia…’

’… I saw Bowie - that was cool.’

🤔

For starters it should be millenium rather than millenia but moreover.. Bowie played in 2000.

Benefit of the doubt given its only just into this millenium? Or is Phillips telling porkies as part of her whole trying very hard to be perceived as the people’s MP thing

806B3535-231C-4FD8-A099-AEE1A2D01ECF.jpeg

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Found a copy of 2019 free press (thursdays) with an interview with Jess Phillips no less.

🤔

For starters it should be millenium rather than millenia but moreover.. Bowie played in 2000.

Benefit of the doubt given its only just into this millenium? Or is Phillips telling porkies as part of her whole trying very hard to be perceived as the people’s MP thing

I get my years mixed up 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

🤔

I get the impression that's her thing, she tends to make things up to suit her persona?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I get my years mixed up 

Yeah, same, certainly with stuff lower down the bill but less so the headliners (or at least the ones i’m into and go and watch). I can imagine you and I have been to a fair few more than jess phillips mind.

Particularly since she’d have been, checking wiki, 18 in 2000. So I would guess she wouldn’t have been to many more than that.

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I get the impression that's her thing, she tends to make things up to suit her persona?

Yeah, I know being in that world surrounded by eton oxbridge PPE types must give you a different frame of reference, but the amount she plays on being a real salt of the earth, working class backstreet brummie brawler is lame considering she seems to be from basically a suburban middle class upbringing.

15 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah, same, certainly with stuff lower down the bill but less so the headliners (or at least the ones i’m into and go and watch). I can imagine you and I have been to a fair few more than jess phillips mind.

Particularly since she’d have been, checking wiki, 18 in 2000. So I would guess she wouldn’t have been to many more than that.

Yeah, I know being in that world surrounded by eton oxbridge PPE types must give you a different frame of reference, but the amount she plays on being a real salt of the earth, working class backstreet brummie brawler is lame considering she seems to be from basically a suburban middle class upbringing.

Is she really from the Eton world? I genuinely thought she was from a public school background, I guess her persona is working.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is she really from the Eton world? I genuinely thought she was from a public school background, I guess her persona is working.

I meant parliament is like that, she went to a grammar school by the looks of things. Parents were professional class. She worked for their company out of school, some campaign groups type stuff then into politics. Nothing wrong with that of course. But she’s happy to portray a life of hardship and economic struggle that is not entirely accurate.

43 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I meant parliament is like that, she went to a grammar school by the looks of things. Parents were professional class. She worked for their company out of school, some campaign groups type stuff then into politics. Nothing wrong with that of course. But she’s happy to portray a life of hardship and economic struggle that is not entirely accurate.

I see what you mean! I agree that's how she portrays herself.

4 hours ago, mattiloy said:

🤔

Whilst I find Jess Phillips a bit much at times on this she is right Bowie played in the year 2000 so he played last millennium.

https://www.britannica.com/science/millennium-time-period

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

To be honest I think this is true of so many on the left, everyone feels they need to show that they grew up in abject poverty to show that they're working class as if it's a prerequisite of being left wing.

4 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

To be honest I think this is true of so many on the left, everyone feels they need to show that they grew up in abject poverty to show that they're working class as if it's a prerequisite of being left wing.

But then Starmer gets criticised for not shying away from his wealth? Labour are just a mess really. Everyone should want the Tories out and to achieve that, they need to work together - not constantly in-fight.

16 hours ago, mcshed said:

Whilst I find Jess Phillips a bit much at times on this she is right Bowie played in the year 2000 so he played last millennium.

https://www.britannica.com/science/millennium-time-period

Alright fairplay maybe its me who r the idiot.

Given she said millennia rather than millennium, i’d be surprised if she knew this mastermind level millennium knowledge. But thats moot really. You win this time, Phillips.

22 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't really understand how Jess Phillips broke her ankle jumping in, but still had a full festival seeing headliners.

I've never broken my ankle, but I would assume a trip to hospital and bed-rest...?

Taking it at face value, I read it as happening in different years?

- She last went to Glastonbury in the previous millenium
- One of the years she went she saw Bowie (presumably the last one she went to)
- One of the years she went, she jumped the fence and broke her ankle

Some of the above may be bollocks, of course, but none of it technically contradicts itself.

29 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't really understand how Jess Phillips broke her ankle jumping in, but still had a full festival seeing headliners.

I've never broken my ankle, but I would assume a trip to hospital and bed-rest...?

A friend of mine broke his ankle at victorious festival a few years back. He hobbled around and saw a couple of bands (sitting at the back) before realising it was worse than he first thought and had to get a taxi to A&E. We all thought he'd just twisted it or something, till he got it x-rayed.

7 hours ago, incident said:

Taking it at face value, I read it as happening in different years?

- She last went to Glastonbury in the previous millenium
- One of the years she went she saw Bowie (presumably the last one she went to)
- One of the years she went, she jumped the fence and broke her ankle

Some of the above may be bollocks, of course, but none of it technically contradicts itself.

Yeah, that makes sense, fair enough.

I suppose the odd thing is that it's one of her favourite memories.