news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Have got to get my first refresh if meds tomorrow since I left hospital.... Will cost me one hundred quid.

Obviously don’t know the details of your illness but see if you’re eligible for a medical exemption certificate. Mine has saved me a fortune in prescription charges. 

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Obviously don’t know the details of your illness but see if you’re eligible for a medical exemption certificate. Mine has saved me a fortune in prescription charges. 

The wife is trying all the tricks to get them as freebies, don't want to be shelling out a ton every couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Have got to get my first refresh if meds tomorrow since I left hospital.... Will cost me one hundred quid.

Look up NHS prescription prepayment certificate. If you need meds for 12 months, it'll cost you £108.10 for the year (as long as you need 11 items or more in the year). If you only need them for 3 months, it'll cost £30.25 for the 3 month period (as long as you need 4 items or more in that period).

It's saved me a bloody fortune since I had my heart attack last year!

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

NHS is a right shit show at the moment (and this isn't the first time)

Phoned doctors to get appointment for my poorly child...  No appointments...  Referred to over spill service (95 mins on the phone).

Phone over spill service....  You need the password from the GP - very rude person  (the GP said there was no password anymore) (50 mins on the phone)

Phone back GP...  Oh here's the fucking password after all (45 mins on the phone)

Phoned back over spill - okay you will get a phone back at 6:10 pm on Wednesday (45 mins  on the phone).

Nearly Four hours to get an appointment for two days time for a child who is poorly now.  

Tonight we ended up at A&E because she couldn't stand the pain anymore.

Someone needs to sort this shit show out.  its got nothing to do with Covid or funding.  Its got to do with the NHS being utterly shite beyond handling emergencies. 

If only there was a decent opposition I could vote for...

Isn't this something of a postcode lottery? 

I've had a few things go wrong with me in the past few years and getting seen (or in COVID times getting phoned) has always straight forward, same with stuff with the kids, our Drs share a medical centre with a couple of other practices and I know from other people in the area that some of the others are a shambles. If some practices can get it right then the problem is an administrative one?

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes to an extent - but isn't the fact we have a "national" health system that is also a postcode lottery something of a problem as well ?

These things are always a combination of factors but the issues are also wide spread as its too easily dismissed as just a postcode lottery. 

I said to my wife today - we should complain - but who too ?   Its a system that answers to nobody and will be held to account by nobody!  Apparently we should all be grateful for it.  A system that barely functions! 

The GP will blame the NHS overspill - the NHS overspill will blame the GP and meanwhile poor old A&E has to treat another poorly child who can't access any other service - and looks at the parents like they are to blame because they are being failed by lack of access to any other service.

Meanwhile - my child is still poorly and needs treatment! (well - she finally got it in the end)

I wasn't trying to dismiss the issues just trying to point out that if some practices can deal with things well then the solution isn't necessarily some huge overhaul of the entire NHS it's more about targeted local improvements, but as you say no one is monitoring these things to do anything local about it.

Better receptionists who don't see themselves as gatekeepers might help.

The Blairite solution would be to set up a load of targets and league tables to work out where the problems are.

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Look up NHS prescription prepayment certificate. If you need meds for 12 months, it'll cost you £108.10 for the year (as long as you need 11 items or more in the year). If you only need them for 3 months, it'll cost £30.25 for the 3 month period (as long as you need 4 items or more in that period).

Rhanks

7 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Well whatever we think of Blair he pumped in money and reduced waiting times etc.

Troubles me your first thought is Blair and not the current Tory government.

I was geniuenly thinking of ways of dealing with it, the current administration seems content to leave it to wither. The Cameroon way was to promise "no more top down reorganisation of the NHS" before before engaging in a top down reorganisation of the NHS that left everyone with a tonne more paperwork to do.

More money would obviously help but you could always spend more and unless it's spent wisely it wouldn't help. More staff are also needed but with something like GPs that's not an easy thing to do quickly, there isn't a GP tap that we can just turn on at will.

11 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

just had the prescription exemption from charges thing come thru, which is excellent, much better than hundred quid each time i need new meds.

Diane not holding back here.

A lot of dissent over Ken Loach’s suspension too. And GMB withdrawing funding..

I feel like something could finally be stirring. Perhaps if Steve Turner is confirmed as Unite leader, a split is in the offing? Expecting fireworks at the conference at any case

06D2FCC3-CC56-4A50-B1E3-8455BDEB7BB7.jpeg

50 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I feel like something could finally be stirring. Perhaps if Steve Turner is confirmed as Unite leader, a split is in the offing? Expecting fireworks at the conference at any case

Labour love a bit of infighting don't they. Just as the polls are narrowing too lol.

Sooner they support PR and just make themselves redundant the better.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Slagging off your own leader in public is not the way to win over new supporters.

Mind you, Abbott's numeracy is so frequently suspect, I'd suspect only 9 people were made redundant.

28 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Labour love a bit of infighting don't they. Just as the polls are narrowing too lol.

Sooner they support PR and just make themselves redundant the better.

Yes if the Labour to win faction who are in the hotseat now really cared about winning, then you’d expect an electoral pact to be high up on the agenda.

The sad reality is that they aren’t actually truly just in it to win, they say that to justify a specific type of politics (authoritarian centrism) in the Labour party, which would ultimately be impossible to implement in full if they went all in for a pact and subsequent constitutional change (because its not actually popular). That and a lot of careerist centrist MPs would lose their seats which I can’t imagine they are so happy about the prospect of.

If there is a split it might force the issue however, say what you want about the left wing MPs, they are generally very popular in their constituencies and would probably win even if they were no longer Labour MPs but independents (or Momentum party or whatever).

Edited by mattiloy

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Ken Loach

He was also asked about a conference fringe event at which Miko Peled suggested people should be allowed to question whether the Holocaust had happened. Loach responded: "I think history is for all of us to discuss. The founding of the state of Israel, for example, based on ethnic cleansing, is there for us all to discuss, so don't try and subvert that by false stories of antisemitism"

Horrible bloke who skates by on making some of the most sickeningly mawkish films known to man.